Concerning Lay Preaching and Such
(12-29-2009, 03:51 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(12-29-2009, 01:57 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: Also, I think the thread has a subtext that hasn't been elucidated, and that is what about us poor slubbs who have never seen the inside of a college? I mean I think it is wrong headed to hold that only the highly educated can pronounce and defend the faith.

I've been following this thread with interest, especially the subtext concerning the role of education.  I am coming at it from a different perspective, though.  I am highly educated.  I do have a degree in theology.  Not only do I have an MDiv, I graduated at the top of my class.  I appear to have a talent for academic pursuits and often wonder how I should be offering this to the service of God.  It is not something that is very clear to me and this thread has made it even murkier.  (That is not a complaint, by the way. I am very grateful for the information and ideas being expressed here.)

If you want my opinion (har).

Given that I know a bit about your situation from your posts, my suggestion is this:

Go to your NO pastor, tell him you have an MDiv and want to put it to use.  Teach RCIA or pre-Cana (though, AFAIK pre-cana is usually taught by a couple, so you may have to drag your husband into this).  If you can work with children, offer to teach Catechism.

Teach a thoroughly orthodox RCIA and pre-Cana.  Parrot the Church, use your training to supply answers to difficult questions - hopefully by showing people the answer in an authoritative text, and your wisdom to refer people to the pastor when necessary.

That is a very important job - you are bringing people into the Church and the Sacrament of Marriage.  It requires knowledge and today many, many people are poorly formed.  Since your pastor is open to traditional practices, make sure besides the Catechism you offer lessons on the Rosary, the Saints, etc.  Fill their hearts and minds with Orthodox Catholicism so they have a good grounding.  There is no more important work than helping others to Christ.

I would start with that.  Then, maybe later with the pastor forming and approving the curriculum, you could teach an adult apologetics class.  Even in my weird world, there is a place for lay apologetics.  Especially cradle Catholics often forget (or never learned!) the hows and whys of their Faith, and this lets them firm up their grounding and learn more advanced things such as some people learn in college.

Put yourself at the service of your pastor.  You sound like you have a good pastor.  He will know what to do.

BTW, if you ever run into "women shouldn't teach" here is a good Trad response:

“About the injunction of the Apostle Paul that women should keep silent in church? Don't go by one text only.” - attributed to St. Teresa of Avila, O.C.D., Doctor of the Church

Messages In This Thread
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by Credo - 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by SCG - 12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Re: Concerning Lay Preaching and Such - by glgas - 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM