Are things getting better or worse in the Church?
(12-27-2009, 02:45 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-27-2009, 12:52 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(12-26-2009, 11:55 PM)DrBombay Wrote: The pope is not now, nor has he ever been, a monarch with absolute power who can impose his will by fiat.

Quote: I've asked this question before and have not yet received an answer.  What if the pope decided to remove the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles and the Cardinal refused to vacate his see?  What would the pope do...send in the Swiss Guard to forcibly remove him?  Ha. 

Actually the Swiss Guard would go though if he told them to.  He would obviously be replaced, he would be an apostate occupying stolen property and the lawsuits would begin.  Catholics would be forced to choose between him and the Pope.  Every bishop in the world would be applying pressure.  Every possible avenue of financial pressure would be exerted to put the Cardinal back in line.  Catholics would be pouring into Los Angeles to make the Cardinal's life miserable.  The Cardinal lives for his mission of destruction inside the Church.  He will fall on his sword rather than be excommunicated.  He can't do any real damage excommunicated. 

Really?  Every bishop in the world applying pressure?  Catholics pouring into LA to defend the papacy against the Cardinal?  Really?  You think that's what would happen?

Hmmm....then I guess the crisis isn't quite as bad as you think it is, now is it? 

No, it is not.  Thank you, and good night.  :tiphat:

Not now no. Back in the day yes. I have a feeling the rest of the worlds Bishops would be silent and the laity would support the Cardinal. Heck when a Priest gets nabbed for rapping little boys the laity side with him.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Are things getting better or worse in the Church? - by Baskerville - 12-27-2009, 02:54 AM