Do you do fondue?
Yes in dodilydo! I got an electric fondue pot for Christmas. Plus two fondue cookbooks. I love it.  I already have a fondue pot, but not an electric fondue pot. This will be much better.

One of the cookbooks, The Melting Pot covers some "fondue myths and legends".

Did you know that in the sixteenth century, fondue was used as part of a Swiss peace treaty? Well it was. According to the story, Protestants brought the bread, the Catholics brought the wine, and the Anabaptists brought the cheese. Then everyone sat down to eat fondue by way of negotiation.   

So, this got me thinking.... Perhaps Bp. Fellay could bring some traditional swiss fondue to the talks with Rome. Do you think? :P And there could be a Bp. Williamson scapegoat cheese fondue, since he gets blamed for so much trouble....   ;)

There are all sorts of reipes in here for easy elegance and I'm definitely planning something for New Years Eve, but so much to pick from... It's hard to choose.

Do you do fondue, too?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
26 hits and no reply. I left everyone of you speechless. *sigh*  Was it really that bad?!?!?

Satori would've replied. She likes me. She loves food threads. Where is she?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Ok, I'll be brave and take a stab (no pun intended) at replying.  :laughing:

I can remember as a kid my folks doing the "fondue" thing (1970's & early '80s).  I remember bread and cheese fondue, chocolate and strawberries (and I think other fruit) fondue and hot oil and meat fondue.  I thought it was pretty lame, everyone sitting around a table, skewering their dinner onto color coded sticks to cook it in a common pot, but I was just a kid, what did I know?

I equate the fleeting fondue fad with the "hippy" types although I'm sure it dates back well before that tacky and overindulgent era.  If you enjoy fondue, by all means indulge yourself.  I'd much rather have my dinner/dessert cooked in an oven rather than a common cooking pot heated by a candle and I gather I'm not alone with that preference seeing the scarcity of responses to your post.    :laughing:

Ok, I'll be brave take a stab (no pun intended) at replying.  :laughing:

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

I can remember as a kid my folks doing the "fondue" thing (1970's & early '80s).  I remember bread and cheese fondue, chocolate and strawberries (and I think other fruit) fondue and hot oil and meat fondue.  I thought it was pretty lame, everyone sitting around a table, skewering their dinner onto sticks to cook it in a common pot, but I was just a kid, what did I know?

I equate the fleeting fondue fad with the "hippy" types although I'm sure it dates back well before that tacky and overindulgent era.  If you enjoy fondue, by all means indulge yourself.  I'd much rather have my dinner/dessert cooked in an oven rather than a common cooking pot heated by a candle and I gather I'm not alone with that preference seeing the scarcity of responses to your post. 
  :laughing:

My husband and I learned to like fondue in Southern Vermont. several summers in a row we took our family to a little restaurant there called "The Swiss Inn"... Everyone had good times there. So, that's what he was thinking about when he bought it for me, I suppose.

I think it sounds like fun. How about a three course meal: meat& sauce, cheese & bread, fruit & sauce? Yum!
Fondue rocks.  Someone send me some.
My younger sister and my cousins wife love to go to The Melting Pot for dinner.  I don't particularly care for it - it costs a small fortune, I do the cooking AND I leave hungry.  ::)

I can go for the appetizer course - a melted cheddar sauce with bread for dipping.  Then I do like the dessert course also - chocolate with pound cake, bananas, strawberries, etc. for dipping.  Can't do fondue for the main course though.  That's overkill in my book.

Yes, I "do fondu" every Christmas Eve. It is sort of becoming a tradition for me:

"14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle." - 2 Thessalonians 2

;)
Inpefess, what kind of fondue do you do on Christmas Eve?

Well, we're going to do a chicken/beef/shrimp deal with a few different dipping sauces and a chocolate fondue for dessert. I'm really looking forward to it.
How many fondue pots do you have?  I've never had fondue - I'll have to try it, one of these days.