Tradition coming back in vogue
(12-30-2009, 12:42 AM)Walty Wrote: Things seem to be getting much better theologically.  Almost every Catholic I know (who is even quasi-serious) is quite orthodox on faith and morals.  That being said, it seems liturgically (and the style of worship in general) still suffer from the Pentecostal influence of the "Spirit of VII."  Our greatest battle moving forward is not bad theology but Charismaticism.  Ideally, it shouldn't be hard to fight Charismaticism in people planted in good theological soil (especially since reverence and traditional worship follow from good theology), but bad philosophy has a strangehold on so many.  It will be a tough fight that will be exceedingly important for the future of the Church.

I agree the pentacostal crap in our liturgy's hinders decent theology. The Catholic Church's lifes blood is the Mass and when that is turned into garbage the rest becomes garbage.
The Misa is the highest human act and as several holy people said it is the most beautiful thing this side of heaven.

so reducing that would be vandelizing the capital building here in the states, the very symbol of democracy.

singed Jeremy L
(12-28-2009, 01:42 AM)Baskerville Wrote: PS Brother Sun Sister Moon has got to be the stupidest Catholic movie I have ever seen.

Maybe because (in my opinion) that movie was not Catholic. 
(12-28-2009, 01:08 AM)Benno Wrote: Just on a bit of a tangent from the "Are things getting better or worse" thread, I'd like to know what people think of tradition coming back into "fashion", especially for young Catholics.

..........How do we read into this? Is it the work of the Holy Spirit, the example of a more traditional Pope, the inevitable slow death of false and foolish ideas/ movements, the end of some diabolical attack on the Church, or just passing and superficial fashions?

Whatever 's behind it, it's a fact that right now most young people are entering the religious life with more traditional notions than the typical post-V2 young people. And that's gotta be a good thing. Doesn't it?

My guess is this current lull in the revolution is all part of the "two steps forward, one step back" tactic. IOW, we are now living through "one step back".

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but  after seeing the unmerciful and brutal destruction of all things TLM while implementing all things NO back in the early stages of the revolution, I feel like I'm pretty much forced into being a skeptic.

IMHO, "Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing" applies big time here and I hope I am wrong, but at worst, I will err on the side of caution for my soul. 
(01-02-2010, 03:52 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(12-28-2009, 01:42 AM)Baskerville Wrote: PS Brother Sun Sister Moon has got to be the stupidest Catholic movie I have ever seen.

Maybe because (in my opinion) that movie was not Catholic. 

That was a horrible film- although it was interesting Donovan did the sound track.

Perhaps I am in a bad situation to judge what my generation of Catholics is up to because my area is liberal and so most of the teens I knew were all at Lifeteen  :puke:. I was the weird convert guy that took the Mass seriously, prayed the rosary, went to confession etc. Everyone said I was going to be a priest because I did these things since no one else did. It was rather sad that they thought that. But I will say that the young people in my age group (18-25 maybe) at the SSPX take the Faith extremely seriously and more and more young folk are coming every week from the NO. The average age in our chapel is maybe 30 something with everyone having 10 children and all the new folks. It makes me hopeful for the future of the Church. People's children aren't loosing the Faith and leaving in droves like at Lifeteen. They are staying and are devout even. All of the seminarians in my diocese were learning to say the TLM along with the NO. Some of them were debating whether or not they should go to the FSSP. I know of a few guys who are going to Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary. These men will be far different priests than the priests who baptized them. They actually know Latin and Theology for one thing! All of them that I met have a love for the TLM and felt kind of sad that they were forced to say the NO. I hate that it will take so long for them to be ordained and return to the diocese- we need them. God willing we will return the Church to Tradition in time if the Bishops will let us...

pax
I don't know if it is coming back into vogue, but I think that it would if more people were exposed to it.

I can't even count the number of times I have mentioned this on this forum, but - just to use myself as an example - I was born and raised in a Irish/Italian family, diehard Catholics all the way back to God knows when....Catholic education....got all my sacraments....but I didn't even know the Mass had once been in Latin until I was 39 years old.

Anybody let's say 45 and under has never seen a TLM, and probably has no idea that what they get from Father Birkenstock every Sunday at the Parish of Holy Diversity is so different from the Mass of the ages.  I sure didn't.  But once I was able to attend a TLM......it was like those fairy tales where the kid finds out he's actually a prince and the castle and the treasure is all his.

Of course not everyone would react like that - but I think a lot of the problem is not hostility to tradition; rather it is that people don't realize what they are missing.
Tradition is totally back in vogue. The Washington Post says so.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/art...index.html

Quote:THE LIST
Ranking what's out, what's in as 2010 dawns

[ ... ]

OUT:
Latin fusion

IN:
Latin Mass