New GIRM?
(12-28-2009, 04:16 PM)Credo Wrote: You are incorrect. The Anglican Use most definitely is Catholic. A simple StartPage search would have cleared this up.

Don't you love it when people announce their ignorance of a subject, then immediately expression an opinion on it?
(12-28-2009, 04:16 PM)Credo Wrote: What is a Protestant shopping mall? Do you mean “mega-churches?” If so, where are these Catholic mega-churches located?

I give you the Taj Mahoney...

[Image: Taj+Mahony.jpg]

Cardinal Mahoney's Virgin Mary...

[Image: The_Virgin_Mary_by_Robert_Graham.jpg]

Inside the Taj Mahoney...

[Image: f0000392.jpg]

Then you got the "Cathedral" in Liverpool...

[Image: 634px-Liverpool_Metropolitan_Cathedral.jpg]

How about this one in Oakland...

[Image: 587px-Oak_Cathdrl_1.jpg]

[Image: 2887700650_bb92ac862d_o.jpg]

Petertherock Wrote:I give you the Taj Mahoney...

Calling Our Lady Queen of Angels Church the "Taj Mahoney (sic)," a play-off of Taj Mahal and hinting at a certain architectural eccentricity on the part of Roger Cardinal Mahony, was funny a few years ago when men like Tho. Droleskey would use said joke sparingly. Now that everyone uses it, it's lost much of it's comedy.

At any length, what are you trying to prove? You stated that you knew of no churches built since the Council which continued in the Western Catholic tradition. Several folk have shown otherwise. Why did you post the above photos? Are you trying to make a point?
(12-28-2009, 04:45 PM)Credo Wrote:
Petertherock Wrote:I give you the Taj Mahoney...

Calling Our Lady Queen of Angels Church the "Taj Mahoney (sic)," a play-off of Taj Mahal and hinting at a certain architectural eccentricity on the part of Roger Cardinal Mahony, was funny a few years ago when men like Tho. Droleskey would use said joke sparingly. Now that everyone uses it, it's lost much of it's comedy.

At any length, what are you trying to prove? You stated that you knew of no churches built since the Council which continued in the Western Catholic tradition. Several folk have shown otherwise. Why did you post the above photos? Are you trying to make a point?

You were the one that asked where these Churches are located so I showed you. It's typical of you to pull crap like that.

Petertherock Wrote:You were the one that asked where these Churches are located so I showed you.

Firstly, you never did specify if you were referring to mega-churches when you spoke of "Protestant shopping malls."

Secondly, if so, I'm still waiting... I want to see Catholic parishes with bowling alleys, coffee shops, dance halls and theaters. Showing examples of weird Catholic architecture isn't enough to qualify something as a "Protestant shopping mall." This is doubly true when such mega-churches generally have tamer designs than some contemporary Catholic examples.

Now, of course, if you were just throwing in the word "Protestant" to score emotional brownie points with the largely Catholic readership of this site, then that's another story...

Quote:It's typical of you to pull crap like that.

Crap like what?
I know for a fact the National Shrine in Washington DC has gift shops, restaurants, and coffee shops in it. I wouldn't be surprised if those buildings I posted pictures of also have shops and coffee shops in them too.

(12-28-2009, 05:14 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I know for a fact the National Shrine in Washington DC has gift shops, restaurants, and coffee shops in it. I wouldn't be surprised if those buildings I posted pictures of also have shops and coffee shops in them too.

I wouldn't either. Yes, there is a crisis in the Church that requires our prayers and efforts to resolve. It does not need relentless mockery from people online.
(12-28-2009, 05:14 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I know for a fact the National Shrine in Washington DC has gift shops, restaurants, and coffee shops in it. I wouldn't be surprised if those buildings I posted pictures of also have shops and coffee shops in them too.

I actually shop there often. I've never eaten there though. I might go there this weekend.
(12-28-2009, 05:35 PM)damooster Wrote:

I actually shop there often. I've never eaten there though. I might go there this weekend.
They've got a great bookstore and lately they've been getting more into trad stuff. Uh, and I've actually eaten there. Never thought it was sacrilege or anything. I'm not an NO apologist, but it's not tacky or neon lights or anything. Just an enormous basilica with information desks, guidance, security, maintenance rooms, a crypt church, tons of side chapels (awesome!) and a bookstore, gift shop and cafeteria in another section. I didn't know that was a problem.  :shrug:
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:They've got a great bookstore and lately they've been getting more into trad stuff.

I don't know if the National Shrine has more than one store on its campus, but I was in one of their stores once. It was below groundlevel, if that rings a bell. This was a few years ago on the vigil of the March for Life. The Shrine was holding a Mass for all the pro-lifers who would participate in the follow day's march. It was a total circus. The people there had no decorum whatsoever. It wasn't the Shine's fault, nor the "Novus Ordo," just the boob's who treated a basilica like a county fair. While in the Shrine store, I couldn't helped but think about the money changers in the Temple.