Austin Catholics?
Seeking Trad and Trad-minded Catholics for casual get-togethers. Nothing fancy, but the politics of meeting other Catholics in the church setting has turned me off. Trying to be polite at N-O coffee hours is an occasion of sin, whether I succeed (sin of dishonesty) or not (sin of sarcasm)....

I'm an artist and a generally liberal person at the same time as I am very conservative.  (I guess I am in some ways a Catholic hippie. I was raised in the old country French Catholic tradition and actually did not know they let Protestants into the country until I was about 12!  My parents were Catholic mystics.)

Anyway, I sort of envision having a time once a month or so when 4 or 5 Catholics can get together and play scrabble or something.

We could rotate house to house or meet at a cafe.
Sounds interesting to me.  Hit me up on an instant messenger.
(12-28-2009, 09:01 PM)SaintGeorge Wrote: Sounds interesting to me.  Hit me up on an instant messenger.

I sent you an email. I used to do YIM, but one day some kind of virus decided to ask everyone in my address book to chat, and so I gave it up.

It will be nice to see what we can pull together if a few more sign up.

I can make a mean meatloaf *lol*
I've been lurking for a while and finally registered today.  I am in Austin.  :)
(12-29-2009, 04:13 PM)brigadoon Wrote: I've been lurking for a while and finally registered today.  I am in Austin.   :)

Welcome :)
We need some more testosterone to step up to the plate here and balance out the estrogen.  Come on guys!
Why don't y'all meet up with the San Antonio crowd? Not to far of a drive.
(12-31-2009, 08:57 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Why don't y'all meet up with the San Antonio crowd? Not to far of a drive.

I use public transportation, and I believe such meetings should be accessble for all os us to use it, for several reasons.

#1: there is a big problem of superstitious prejudice in the South, which identifies bus use with the "servant class" and an equally big problem in the Catholic Church, which has lost its blue-collar roots as one of the effects of VII and I believe that good Catholics have to maintain a life that erases the artificial barriers between social "castes", such as the stigmatization of all who use public transport

#2: sooner or later EVERYONE loses their car. We will see gas rationing even if only by expense as the economy deteriorates and also as people get older they have  more reasons to stop driving and their participation in Catholic fellowship should not suffer as a result

#3: once you get used to using busses, you discover that you have a better prayer life. a better connection between your daily life and the lives of those around you.

#4: as the gov't tightens control of citizen movement, it actually makes it harder for people to keep licenses or own cars while mostly ignoring the movements of those who use public transport locally, which paradoxically means that you preserve more personal freedom by using the bus than by driving.

San Antonio based Schola Peregrina will be singing chant at the Latin Mass tomorrow, New Year's Day, at 3:30 pm at the Cathedral in Austin. Several of us Fisheaters are in the schola, we hope to meet all Austin Trads there!
(12-31-2009, 12:34 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: San Antonio based Schola Peregrina will be singing chant at the Latin Mass tomorrow, New Year's Day, at 3:30 pm at the Cathedral in Austin. Several of us Fisheaters are in the schola, we hope to meet all Austin Trads there!

Thank you! It may be crowded, but I will try to be there.