""that's so gay" (Or, "Usage is meaning.")
(01-05-2010, 11:13 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: Perhaps.  but it's become acceptable to say 'sucks,' 'dork,' and 'scumbag,' today, which are words that were not used in polite company twenty years ago, because of their original meanings.  urbandictionary.com should be able to fill you in if you don't know.

I still find those words bothersome even today; I do not use them. Using the word "suck" to degrade someone or something carries as profane an association as does the contextual use of the word "f**k". The former is simply more socially acceptable than the latter.
(01-05-2010, 07:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(01-05-2010, 11:13 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: Perhaps.  but it's become acceptable to say 'sucks,' 'dork,' and 'scumbag,' today, which are words that were not used in polite company twenty years ago, because of their original meanings.  urbandictionary.com should be able to fill you in if you don't know.

I still find those words bothersome even today; I do not use them. Using the word "suck" to degrade someone or something carries as profane an association as does the contextual use of the word "f**k". The former is simply more socially acceptable than the latter.

i don't use them, either.  to me, they're uglier than 'f**k' because  'f**k' is an old, old word; i just checked dictionary.com for the origin of the word.

Origin:
1495–1505; akin to MD fokken to thrust, copulate with, Sw dial. focka to copulate with, strike, push, fock penis

'f**k' is becoming more acceptable and is preferable in a way because everybody knows what it means, the usage hasn't changed. the usage of the other words has and people use them without knowing their meaning. 

it's interesting that formerly taboo words have become acceptable through usage while an ordinary, acceptable word, "gay," has been co-opted to make formerly taboo and unspeakable acts seem acceptable.

(01-07-2010, 11:39 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(01-05-2010, 07:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

i don't use them, either.  to me, they're uglier than 'f**k' because  'f**k' is an old, old word; i just checked dictionary.com for the origin of the word.

Origin:
1495–1505; akin to MD fokken to thrust, copulate with, Sw dial. focka to copulate with, strike, push, fock penis

'f**k' is becoming more acceptable and is preferable in a way because everybody knows what it means, the usage hasn't changed. the usage of the other words has and people use them without knowing their meaning. 

it's interesting that formerly taboo words have become acceptable through usage while an ordinary, acceptable word, "gay," has been co-opted to make formerly taboo and unspeakable acts seem acceptable.

Some interesting thoughts. I'm not a linguist, but it seems probable that these words gain popularity through misusage rather than contextual accuracy. Both of those words aren't as socially acceptable when used in context, but when used out of context they forfeit their accurate contextual applicability. Significantly, since most are not aware of the words' sexual origins, most rely upon the context to understand their meanings. Hence, if these words are used out of context, they are more socially acceptable and gain popularity.
Very gay and ideologicaly loaded artical
Homophobia
Lol
That's preety gay
Sip
(01-08-2010, 06:50 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Some interesting thoughts. I'm not a linguist, but it seems probable that these words gain popularity through misusage rather than contextual accuracy. Both of those words aren't as socially acceptable when used in context, but when used out of context they forfeit their accurate contextual applicability. Significantly, since most are not aware of the words' sexual origins, most rely upon the context to understand their meanings. Hence, if these words are used out of context, they are more socially acceptable and gain popularity.

The "euphemism treadmill" is quite common. It is a succession of words which replace the previous taboo words until they themselves become taboo and need replacing.

A common example is how one refers to the place where people shit (I'm using that word to show how this works, as it was the "original" word in English). We do anything but say "I have to go shit". We have to go the "bathroom", "lavatory", "restroom", etc and in different locales, these words are further replaced. Sometimes, they are replaced with completely false statements. The understanding of them doesn't change at all. When someone says they are going to the bathroom, rarely will anyone be surprised when they come back dry having not bathed. Everybody knows what is meant; they just don't want to say it.