'De-gassing' beans?
Anyone have a method of de-gassing bean soup or any bean dish?

I've heard variously vinegar (an acid) or baking soda (a base) as additives to bean dishes, chilis, etc so they don't cause gas.  Those two are obviously direct contradictions to each other.

Anyone heard of or know anything about this?
(01-01-2010, 04:11 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Anyone have a method of de-gassing bean soup or any bean dish?

I've heard variously vinegar (an acid) or baking soda (a base) as additives to bean dishes, chilis, etc so they don't cause gas.  Those two are obviously direct contradictions to each other.

Besides proper preparation, this is not much you can do. A healthy digestive track could handle them easily if they are cooked properly.
oops...
...mea culpa for the above.

Take Beano before, and there'll be no gas.
[Image: beano1.jpg]

Sorry.  Couldn't help myself.  :P

I have read that adding seaweed could help.  You oughta be able to find plenty of that in CA.

Here's some more tips:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...328AAYkX3e
change the soaking water a couple of times while soaking, then drain them and boil them in fresh water.

or don't do anything and give them to a bunch of college age pigs - they'll thank you.

:tiphat:
(01-01-2010, 04:11 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Anyone have a method of de-gassing bean soup or any bean dish?

If you want great beans fast, get a pressure cooker.  It makes the whole "soaking and dumping and rinsing" issue a thing of the past.  Wash them well, then cook away.  Like Rosarium said, thoroughly cooked beans really don't cause much flatulence in most people.  I experimented with baking soda once, but found it negatively impacted the taste of the beans.  It was subtle, but "feh".
Soak them.  I usually soak them overnight, then drain them, and rinse them out once more, before putting them in a pot with fresh water.
Soak them at least 24 hours in warm water mixed with some salt and high-quality plain yogurt, or yogurt starter culture.  For a 4 quart pot of beans, I use 2 tbsp of yogurt, and one tbsp salt.  It's not an exact science.  The bacteria in the yogurt help to pre-digest the beans, making them less gassy.  Tasty too!
A better question is: Why would anyone want to de-gas beans?

(01-03-2010, 09:22 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: A better question is: Why would anyone want to de-gas beans?

To remove the cardiac benefits.