Ukrainian-Catholic Mass?
then yeah, your clergy aren't doing a good job of explaining it.  theotokos does mean god bearer, but only in the sense of giving birth to God.  mother of God is the only possible understanding from theotokos.
I don't think we should correct Melkite on his Greek.
(01-08-2010, 12:21 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: I don't think we should correct Melkite on his Greek.

Certainly. Perhaps we could help him and his fellow eastern catholics on their theology, though.
(01-08-2010, 12:21 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: I don't think we should correct Melkite on his Greek.

Actually, I've never studied Greek.  The only reason I knew that is because I was talking to a friend who has studied Latin and Greek.  We happened to be talking about thurifers, and he told me that it means smoke bearer.  So it dawned on me, Lucifer means bearer of light.  He said yes.  So I asked if Lucifer in Greek would be Phototokos, and he said no, Phototokos would be one who gives birth to light.  Lucifer in Greek would be Photophoros.
(01-08-2010, 12:16 AM)Melkite Wrote: then yeah, your clergy aren't doing a good job of explaining it.  theotokos does mean god bearer, but only in the sense of giving birth to God.  mother of God is the only possible understanding from theotokos.
that's the point
the hierchy are deficient
and the term was an unnecessary and confusing change
the people were not divided and confused by the title Mother of God
no it was pharasitical pandering to the schismatics by the eastern bishops at the expense of the parishoners they hold in obvious contempt IMO
voxpopulisux Wrote:And when I recieve communion I too become a theotokos, when st Joseph carried his foster son in his arms he too then was a theotokos
the Ukrainians don't have a problem with the UNIQUE title Mother of God a more precise and traditional term?
That's not so accurate. Tokos doesn't exactly translate just "bearer". Tokos rather means "birth-bearing" or 'bringing forth": http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/...tokos.html
This can also be shown by the Gospel that indicates "bearing" can mean pregnancy. Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spoke these things, a certain woman from the crowd, lifting up her voice, said to him: Blessed is the womb that bore thee, and the paps that gave thee suck.
No, you are not a theotokos in Holy Communion.
voxpopulisuxx Wrote:that's the point
the hierarchy are deficient
and the term was an unnecessary and confusing change
the people were not divided and confused by the title Mother of God
no it was pharasitical pandering to the schismatics by the eastern bishops at the expense of the parishoners they hold in obvious contempt IMO
Is Theotokos used like Genitrix Dei is used instead of Mater Dei? Maybe it's just theological terminology. Is Genitrix Dei a pandering to schismatics as well? I am only considering the Greek Divine Liturgy though and not the Old Church Slavonic Divine Liturgy.