The Eastern Rite NO mass...the RDL...
(01-05-2010, 06:05 PM)OLOMC Wrote: I recently attended a Ruthenian Rite Divine Liturgy. I was concerned over many things of the liturgy, but also of a lack of external reverence for the Blessed Sacrament. Slight talking before Mass, piped in music playing over the speakers before Mass (not really perhaps the worst  thing in the world but to me at least distracting), most people not kneeling or even a bow to the tabernacle/altar when people would go into the pews, etc. I didn't stay long after Mass, but there was a family there and they kneeled and the like for the consecration and the like. The mother had one of those red pew Missals for the 1962 Missal and a lace chapel veil, so perhaps they were Latin Catholics in exile, God knows. Better than the Novus Ordo and the church was artistically nice, but I can see why people like the Society of St. Josephat exist.

I can't speak for the Ruthenian practices (I've only been to Greek and Russian Divine Liturgies) but Ruthenians are Eastern Rite and therefore I can tell you that what you are describing above are considered Latin practices. "External reverence for the Blessed Sacrament" is not done by Easterners because very rarely is the consecrated Eucharist kept in a tabernacle.  They consecrate what is to be used at the Liturgy because that is the purpose of the Eucharist, to be used for the liturgy.  Anything more is considered an "abuse" by Easterners/Orthodox.  In their view, there is no reason to keep more unless they need it for a sick call or something, but this too is handled differently than in the West.  This is why I mentioned to a poster before when he/she inquired about going to a Divine Liturgy that it is helpful to have an understanding of Eastern theology before attending a Divine Liturgy otherwise what is being done or not being done may seem odd or irreverent when in fact they are observing their own traditions. 

However, I can't answer why they had music playing over the speakers.  That is a bit odd. 

Pax

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Rite NO mass...the RDL... - by salome - 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM