Want to see Epiphany Mass LIVE from St. Peter's?
(01-07-2010, 08:15 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: newsflash, i was attending the TLM before there WAS a NO, before Vatican II so i know more about tradition than you ever will.  i'm of the Pope Pius XII generation, Deo gratias.

you don't seem to have grasped that i am homebound and nowhere near a TLM [SSPX, FSSP, or and other combination of letters.]

you don't seem to have grasped reading my posts for content so i will no longer respond to your posts.

Well you should know best then!

So just forget about objective truth, forget about reality! Do whatever you feel like, Im sure that will please God more.

Im only trying to help you Sir. It is a sin to attend the N.O Mass for the purpose of participation, whatever the circumstance. Whether you agree with this or not, does not change the fact it is the objective truth.

So I will say a few prayers for you and please God you will a traditonal Priest who will explain any difficulties you have with the traditional Catholic position, should you find any in your reading of traditional Catholic literature.

God Bless you,
Tradmaverick
(01-07-2010, 09:07 AM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 08:05 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: there is a lot of mean-spiritedness in the tank.
This, unfortunately, is true. Sometimes people are more worried about holding the line than actually acting like a good catholic (trad or otherwise). I wouldn't take it personally and those who seem mean aren't usually...they're just lacking in some tact. I would hazard a guess that most all those here truly have your best intrest are heart and they are right in standing by TLM and calling the NO what it is. I don't remember being nasty to others as a good way to defend the TLM though ???
(01-07-2010, 08:05 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: those who have the TLM should rejoice in their good fortune and pray for those who do not.
I agree 100%. My family can only assist at TLM once per month...we pray for more. We can't really do much about it since the closest TLM is 70 miles away (it's a diocesan mass that may not be good enough for some :huh-uh:). The closest SSPX chapel is about 150 miles away...so that ain't happening.
On a relayted note....our Latin Mass Community will be having it's first High Mass on Jan. 24. Please pray for a great success, please!
If you have access to TLM, thank God!
If not, beg God for the grace  :pray:

thanks for getting it, Ralph.  some people here are fortunate enough to have two, three, or more TLMs within driving distance (or so some have stated in the past), plus reliable cars, plenty of money for gas, and good health, but many of us are lacking one TLM within driving distance or have other reasons we can't get to one. 

if we didn't prefer the TLM and traditional Catholic beliefs, we wouldn't be here at FE, and it is astonishing that others who claim to be traditional Catholics attack us for our misfortunes. 

to accuse someone else of "not understanding tradition" is not a statement Jesus would approve of, and, btw, Jesus surely did not speak Latin at the Last Supper.  i love Latin but let's face facts; it came much later in the development of the Church.

also, most trads only go back to the Mass of Pius X, at the earliest.  other than Fr. Cekada, who sometimes posts here, i don't think anyone in the tank assists at the much older Mass of Pius V.

trad one-upsmanship sounds like protestants bickering over the minor details that have divided them into so many sects.

I tend to agree, I will watch the Mass at St Peters but I will not stick around for the whole thing.

By the time the lay lecturer gets up there I know its time to change the channel and come back until the homily then the rest is watchable but yes it lacks that of the TLM which makes it truly beautiful.
(01-08-2010, 03:07 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: I tend to agree, I will watch the Mass at St Peters but I will not stick around for the whole thing.

By the time the lay lecturer gets up there I know its time to change the channel and come back until the homily then the rest is watchable but yes it lacks that of the TLM which makes it truly beautiful.

did you watch this Mass?  i didn't have time to watch the recording before we had to leave in the morning and that night, when i went to the DVR list, it wasn't there at all.  it just hadn't recorded, for some unknown reason.  there was room on the DVR and it was on the to do list; maybe we had satellite outage at that time.  by the time i discovered this, all the re-runs were over so i was disappointed. 

but tonight, i decided to watch another program from EWTN that I'd recorded the same night and to my surprise, it began with the pope praying the Latin for "Lord, I am not worthy for you to come under my roof, etc."  all of the rest of the Mass was in Latin, too, right through to "Ite, missa est" which was sung.    [only the credits for the scheduled program showed up at the very end of the recording so the Mass ran overtime, and i had set it for extended recording if it did run overtime.]

Pope Benedict also only gave Communion on the tongue to people who knelt, with the exception of a woman in a wheelchair at the back of the line, whom he went forward and bent over to help her receive since she was unable to kneel.  she and some other women were veiled.  he was assisted by a priest, i think it was Marini, with a paten held under each communicant's chin.

it may be that the entire Mass was in Latin and there were no lay readers.  in any case, the times they are a'changin'. 

another surprise is that there were only a few security guards walking alongside during the recessional, despite the large crowd.  they were spread out six to ten feet apart instead of forming a solid line on either side as usual.  the commentator said His Holiness was making it clear that he won't be separated from the people, despite what happened Christmas Eve.  he didn't even have clergy walking close to him.

4 a.m. Saturday he'll be saying Mass for the Solemnity of the Baptism of Christ in the Sistine Chapel.

i'm going to get this one on the DVR one way or the other so I can burn a DVD of it since it will surely be high quality videography.  it's nice to go to the Sistine Chapel, to know you're there and to look around, but the lights are very low, it's crowded with people, and the guards move groups out after about ten or fifteen minutes.  the guards are also constantly telling everyone to be quiet, which only makes the crowd get quiet for a minute or so. 

so there are many distractions there that don't exist in the basilica and i look forward to seeing Mass, with lights and a quiet crowd of worshippers, in the Sistine Chapel.  as i recall, the pope has said Mass ad orientem in the chapel before so maybe this will even be a TLM.  2010 may be a very interesting year.

(01-07-2010, 11:13 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: thanks for getting it, Ralph.  some people here are fortunate enough to have two, three, or more TLMs within driving distance (or so some have stated in the past), plus reliable cars, plenty of money for gas, and good health, but many of us are lacking one TLM within driving distance or have other reasons we can't get to one. 

Again,
Stay at home and say your Rosary, pray your missal, read a good book, sanctify the day. Dont particpate in a sin.(i.e N.O) Come on its not like your the only one who cant get to the True Mass every week, I only get there twice a month!

(01-07-2010, 11:13 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: if we didn't prefer the TLM and traditional Catholic beliefs, we wouldn't be here at FE, and it is astonishing that others who claim to be traditional Catholics attack us for our misfortunes. 

Your just proving once again that you dont understand. Its got nothing to do with preference!! We dont 'prefer' the old Mass to the New one, its not relative or subjective, its objective. It is a sin to attend the New Mass, the New Mass does not fulfil your Sunday obligation, the New theology is erroneous - we dont prefer Catholic Theology to the New Theology, that would imply there is nothing wrong with the New theology!

(01-07-2010, 11:13 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: to accuse someone else of "not understanding tradition" is not a statement Jesus would approve of, and, btw, Jesus surely did not speak Latin at the Last Supper.  i love Latin but let's face facts; it came much later in the development of the Church.

Once again  -you completely missed the point!

Why do you think its all about Latin??? Its not! Did you even read the Ottavianai intervention? Do i have to post the link again? It is a critique of the New Mass in its ORIGINAL LATIN FORM. No liturgical abuses, no altar girls, communion in the hand, lay readers, or anything! Just the prayers of the Mass  -and its not the only critique - far far from it!

http://fisheaters.com/ottavianiintervention.html                                Read it for goodness sake!

(01-07-2010, 11:13 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: also, most trads only go back to the Mass of Pius X, at the earliest.  other than Fr. Cekada, who sometimes posts here, i don't think anyone in the tank assists at the much older Mass of Pius V.

Now you have definitively proved you have no understanding of the issues! The Mass of St.Pius V is the Mass that we all attend! Youre clumsily referring to minor additions that the Holy Pontiff St.Pius X (amongst other Pontiffs) made to the Mass. Its still the same Mass of St.Pius V, still enforced by Quo Primum.

The Society of St.PiusX follows the 62 missal (whist retaining certain ommisions as religous custom)
(01-05-2010, 08:37 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(01-05-2010, 08:31 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: and for those of us who have no access to a TLM and are prevented by health problems from attending our local NO often, Mass on tv is all we get.  pray you're never in our/ my situation.  

Here's the TLM which is broadcast daily on streaming video by the FSSP in Florida:

http://www.christthekingsarasota.org/

Thanks a lot!  I just finished watching the Mass this morning, and it was beautiful!  As one who doesn't have a TLM available, this was a God sent.  :)