The Gospel According to John Bull
(01-05-2010, 11:19 PM)WilfredLeblanc Wrote: I had to follow this up a bit because of the family connection, and I think I get at least part of it. The End of the Affair, which was based on Greene's affair with Catherine Walston, was published in 1951 and promptly got Greene on the cover of Time with the strapline "Adultery can lead to Sainthood." Feeney, quite understandably, would have been disgusted by that. By the time he published the article above in 1954, he had probably been building up bile around the subject for a few years.

See here for more lurid detail about the Greene/Walston affair: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/...28643.html I didn't know this before, but apparently she was his goddaughter!

I just read this. What a sleazeball. He seems like one of those Catholics that like to pull out the "think of how much worse i would be if i weren't Catholic" shtick. That always goes over well with the sentimental types.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Gospel According to John Bull - by tflinn - 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Re: The Gospel According to John Bull - by stvincentferrer - 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Re: The Gospel According to John Bull - by Satori - 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Re: The Gospel According to John Bull - by Satori - 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM