Poll: How do you / dose your family tithe?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tithing
(01-06-2010, 01:00 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Which is sad because the NO parish I attend has 3 monstrances and only one gets used.
Doesn't that type of thing make you want to scream, I mean you know that the people who paid for those monstrances did so out of love of Our Lord, no so they could collect dust in a sacristy. Makes you feel like this guy: :chainsaw:
The tithe as concept cames from the OLd Testament. When Josue divided the land between the tribes each tribe got their portion, except the Levites, who received only a few cities. Their portion was divided between the others, and the others were required to offer the tithe from every harvest for the upkeep of the Levites.

The system was revived in the Medieval Eves. Upon harvest one tenth of the goods was given to the Church, who in response of that provided the education, administration above the sacramental function. (An other tenth was given to the civil authorities to keep the external and internal order). Above that the local community got one day weekly  work for community purposes.

When the states took over the education / administrative function of the Churches the bulk of the taxation went to them. In Central Europe it was remained (in Germany until recently, in Hungary until WWII) the obligatory Church tax, it was 2% of the gross income. This was the amount what the Church asked from every family even under the Communist system (w/o obligation). This was understood above some stipends (mostly burial and marriage) and the regular (but usually very small) weekly donations.

In the US today protestants report donation data as 2% of the income per family, Catholics as around 1% of the income per  individuals (which is about the same per family, given the average family size around 2.3)

The Church request for 10% (of the after tax income) is very recent, and imho it is justified only for those families, where children are in the parochial school.

(01-06-2010, 08:51 AM)RalphKramden Wrote: I wish they'd spend my money doing more good than sending me junk mail.

Agreed!  I made a modest donation to Priests for Life a couple years ago.  I'm pretty sure they've totally spent it on trying to milk me out of more money.  Including an appeal by CERTIFIED MAIL!  I had to go to the freaking post office to sign for a fundraising letter!  Gah.  I hope Father Pavone does good work and that he is successful, but he's gotten all of the money I'm going to send him.

I haven't answered the poll yet.  I'm trying to justify my 1.5%-of-net contributions in my head before I hit submit.

Maybe it's time to talk to Mrs. WRC about upping our contributions?  It's going to be a hard-sell.  I'm not working steadily.  And, despite what Dave Ramsey tells us, we've now got a car payment to her parents for the fancy 4WD SUV in the garage after I got her car stuck in the church parking lot at Midnight Mass.  We'll see.
(01-06-2010, 01:00 AM)Baskerville Wrote: I only give what I can depending on the paycheck for the pay period. We were also having a second collection a few months back to buy a monstrance so that on Sundays when Fr. cant make it in we can have adoration at least. Thats at my SSPX Church. Which is sad because the NO parish I attend has 3 monstrances and only one gets used. The NO i occasionaly attend used to get a few bucks here and there but since our Jesuit province has declared bankruptcy because of huge sex abuse scandals I have quit giving anything.. I just dont feel like paying for Fr. McFeelyaup's molesting of alter boys.

Pray tell, how are you supposed to have adoration if there is no priest?
(01-06-2010, 12:16 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 01:00 AM)Baskerville Wrote: I only give what I can depending on the paycheck for the pay period. We were also having a second collection a few months back to buy a monstrance so that on Sundays when Fr. cant make it in we can have adoration at least. Thats at my SSPX Church. Which is sad because the NO parish I attend has 3 monstrances and only one gets used. The NO i occasionaly attend used to get a few bucks here and there but since our Jesuit province has declared bankruptcy because of huge sex abuse scandals I have quit giving anything.. I just dont feel like paying for Fr. McFeelyaup's molesting of alter boys.

Pray tell, how are you supposed to have adoration if there is no priest?

Id also like to hear an answer to that.
(01-06-2010, 08:54 AM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 01:00 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Which is sad because the NO parish I attend has 3 monstrances and only one gets used.
Doesn't that type of thing make you want to scream, I mean you know that the people who paid for those monstrances did so out of love of Our Lord, no so they could collect dust in a sacristy. Makes you feel like this guy: :chainsaw:

Point taken, but another point to consider in general. We have lots of duplicate things at our parish. We have three monstrances, for instance. One is commonly used, another is used infrequently when the blessed sacrament is removed form the luna of the primary monstrance for cleaning. The third is so big that it's only been used once when Bishop Fellay celebrated Mass for Corpus Christi here.

But it's like having vestments ... if well-supplied there should be a daily Mass set for each altar (good quality materials, but not heavily ornamented), there should be a nice greater feast day set for each altar (very good quality and reasonably ornamented) and then there should be a top-quality Low/Sung Mass set for the main altar. If solemn Mass is common, then there should be at least two sets of each color (except black) (one for ferias and common feasts) and another for the most major feasts.

We have four altars in our Church and three others in chapels in our other buildings. That means that we may have as many as 15 sets of Low/Sung Mass white vestments alone and perhaps two or three solemn sets. Each color would need the same, so there might be as many as 15 red sets and 15 green sets ... in actuality we're probably more around 10 sets of each color.

That may seems like overkill, and for the average mission chapel, it certainly is, but for your well-staffed parish church (we have 8 priests -- we're an SSPX priory that has a few Novus Ordo priests who are "re-training" in tradition), these are not exorbitant.

It is a shame that some Novus Ordo churches have religated the best liturgical paraments to a museum or some storage closet when they could be used, but we ought to be careful not to be "jealous" that some parishes have more than others, and that some of those things don't get used frequently. As I mentioned before in a different post we have a Neo-Gothic solemn gold set made from real cloth-of-gold. Here is the cope hood:
[Image: 4227032890_b84ec98bc8.jpg]

This set is worth at least $15,000, if not twice that and it gets use perhaps once during the year. We have a second Roman solemn gold made from real cloth-of-gold. It is probably worth about as much and is used another, perhaps two times a year. Some in a mission chapel might look at that and think it unnecessary for us to have such nice vestments that are not frequently used, but such things are not excessive.

In short, I would be careful about condemning a church for having items that it infrequently or never uses. In my experience many things are donated to the Church but are not usable, but can't be given away or sold easily. Any mission chapel which does not have the necessary paraments for the liturgy also will have to buy them. Just because the Novus Ordo parish has more than what they commonly use doesn't mean that somehow a chapel which has not raised the money for a monstrance or for nicer vestments is entitled to those items.

Much money, time and labor went into given those items to a parish for use at that parish. We ought to be careful about coveting what another parish has simply because they don't use those things well.
I give what I can when I can.  We live just on my husbands salary, so it depends, sometimes more, sometimes less. I did give a big chunk to a charity we had last year, for Zimbabwe.
(01-07-2010, 11:43 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Much money, time and labor went into given those items to a parish for use at that parish. We ought to be careful about coveting what another parish has simply because they don't use those things well.
I agree with you and understand what you're saying. It is very hard however to maintain logic and understanding when you hear about parishes being gutted and ransacked by modernists one after another after another after another.

My point was not to covet, but that it can be frustrating to try your hardest and contribute what you can for a noble cause just to look on and see things being taken for granted and even neglected.

It is amazing when you consider the amount of vestments. The parish I went to before we were married (NO) had at least 12-15 sets of each color, except rose (3) and black (1). Not to mention all the altar cloths, server vestments, and on and on and on.
Therse a couple ladies in our church that sew the most amazing vestments and altar cloths.
(01-07-2010, 11:51 AM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I give what I can when I can.  We live just on my husbands salary, so it depends, sometimes more, sometimes less.
That's the boat we're in. I'm the only one that works outside the home and it can be tight financially. I think giving what you can is all Our Lord asks.

We've decided to try and give more and more frequently because I figure when Jesus said the woman who gave what little she had was the one who gave more, he must have meant it. Hopefully if we can give what we can Our Lord will bless us for our generosity.