Poll: How do you / dose your family tithe?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tithing
(01-07-2010, 02:55 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Therse a couple ladies in our church that sew the most amazing vestments and altar cloths.
I wish I could learn to do something like that....but then every one would wonder if there was something wrong with me, I mean a young man in the sewing circle?
I have a lot of respect foe the great works of art women like that make, their talent is truly a blessing.
(01-07-2010, 02:58 PM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 02:55 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: Therse a couple ladies in our church that sew the most amazing vestments and altar cloths.
I wish I could learn to do something like that....but then every one would wonder if there was something wrong with me, I mean a young man in the sewing circle?
I have a lot of respect foe the great works of art women like that make, their talent is truly a blessing.
One lady in particular, her vestments are so beautiful, you would think they were worth thousands of dollars. Its just amazing, and yes, truly a blessing as well!
(01-07-2010, 04:02 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:
One lady in particular, her vestments are so beautiful, you would think they were worth thousands of dollars. Its just amazing, and yes, truly a blessing as well!

My wife has started learning, she was recently given a gift of a lifetimes collection of patterns, instructions, personal notes, diagrams and explanations - the collection is about half a metre high!
(01-07-2010, 08:42 PM)tradmaverick Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 04:02 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote:

My wife has started learning, she was recently given a gift of a lifetimes collection of patterns, instructions, personal notes, diagrams and explanations - the collection is about half a metre high!
What a great gift...may God grant her the patience to make such things for His glory :pray:
(01-07-2010, 02:51 PM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 11:43 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Much money, time and labor went into given those items to a parish for use at that parish. We ought to be careful about coveting what another parish has simply because they don't use those things well.
I agree with you and understand what you're saying. It is very hard however to maintain logic and understanding when you hear about parishes being gutted and ransacked by modernists one after another after another after another.

My point was not to covet, but that it can be frustrating to try your hardest and contribute what you can for a noble cause just to look on and see things being taken for granted and even neglected.

It is amazing when you consider the amount of vestments. The parish I went to before we were married (NO) had at least 12-15 sets of each color, except rose (3) and black (1). Not to mention all the altar cloths, server vestments, and on and on and on.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you were, just making the point. It is sad to see such wonderful things neglected. They would be put to better use in some of our traditional chapels ... but hopefully when those parishes get back to tradition, they will already have all the items they need. Remember that we traditionalists and our small chapels are just lifeboats until the ship stops sinking.
(01-07-2010, 09:11 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I wasn't trying to suggest that you were, just making the point. It is sad to see such wonderful things neglected. They would be put to better use in some of our traditional chapels ... but hopefully when those parishes get back to tradition, they will already have all the items they need. Remember that we traditionalists and our small chapels are just lifeboats until the ship stops sinking.
Thanks for saying that...for some reason I've never thought about that. You've made my day. Lets focus on praying for a return of tradition instead (or at least in addition to) being critical :pray:
(01-07-2010, 02:56 PM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 11:51 AM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: I give what I can when I can.  We live just on my husbands salary, so it depends, sometimes more, sometimes less.
That's the boat we're in. I'm the only one that works outside the home and it can be tight financially. I think giving what you can is all Our Lord asks.

My husband is the only one bringing home a salary in our household; I'm a housewife. But about 10-11 years ago we made a conscious decision to make tithing a priority. We figured if we could find the money to pay for cable, go out to eat, etc., then we could find the money to support our parish.

At the time we started, we were only giving about 1% of our take-home pay each month. I had figured out a schedule where we could be up to a full 10% within a year, but amazingly we were at that point in less than 6 months.

We live in an area with a lot of protestants, and I like to listen to a local protestant talk radio show daily. I had heard on that program in regards to tithing that "God can't be outdone in giving" and that "God's math will never add up". I can certainly say that that was true of us in regards to tithing. It seems like we never felt the pinch of giving the extra money at all. We've also had some pretty amazing incidents of money coming in out of the blue just in time during a pinch.

I'm not writing this to accuse those who give less, but just to let you know that tithing has some very real benefits, and once decided upon is easier than you think.
(01-07-2010, 09:53 PM)Charity Wrote: It seems like we never felt the pinch of giving the extra money at all. We've also had some pretty amazing incidents of money coming in out of the blue just in time during a pinch.

I'm not writing this to accuse those who give less, but just to let you know that tithing has some very real benefits, and once decided upon is easier than you think.
Thanks for sharing, that's just what I'm hoping for. Our family has been very blessed and I'd like to share our blessings.