Annoying dream
The last priest with whom I discussed a sexual matter in any detail was laicized within the year after that for male pederasty.

THAT is the reason I'd be leery of discussing anything like this with them, not because they couldn't offer godly spiritual advice.
A well formed priest knows to stop you from going into detail that is bad for them to hear.
Just approach the issue delicately.

And stay away from malformed priests.
You don't need to describe all the details, but you do still have to give enough information for Fr to know the circumstances and what kind of sexual sin it was.  Then a good priest can give you advice on how to avoid it. Along with their vocation, they receive graces to be able to deal with these problems, but never refrain from telling him about your failings because you think he can't handle it. From what some confessors have said, I doubt anything we have to say will shock them.
(01-06-2010, 09:15 PM)littlerose Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 09:03 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I thought the priest was a spiritual father to the christian. Sexuality is an integral part of our being, so I can't see why it would not be appropriate to ask the help and counsel of the priest, especially regarding the temptations the poster described.

I'm beginning to see a trend of "Catholicism-without-priests" surfacing around here. Certainly, all this crisis has made us wary of some clergy. The solution, though, is to seek traditional clergy, not to throw them all out as dispensers of sacraments and nothing more. Internet fora, catholic magazines, even some good catholic company are not and should not be a replacement of priests and of their fatherly guidance.

No, I am not an advocate of getting rid of priests. But their role includes celibacy and I do beleive that the burden of that vow places a responsibility to avoid that subject with priests. We have to respect their special vocation.  This includes Confession, where we can indicate a sexual sin without describing it. I am not being suspicious of priests, just considerate.

I can't see anyone better suited to help the poster in question regarding her sexual temptations (even if they're only a dream) than her priest. They are our spiritual fathers, vehicles of Divine mercy, equipped with the millennial experience and authority of the Church. Who is there any better to seek counsel from? She doesn't need to dwell into specifics in order to confide to him her problems and worries, neither she has to go into detail with anyone else since anyone can is subject to temptation and sin. Modesty should be our way of conduct in every action with everyone.

As a priest told me, "As a priest, you hear everything in the first week."
(01-06-2010, 06:29 PM)littlerose Wrote: I think I can safely guess that the onset of sexual dreams in a male is not a good time to get married because that happens while a boy is still in grammar school......  :o
:laughing:
While reading this post I was thinking "see what it's like being a guy". It can be tough.

Just pray, pray, pray and as Walty said you are not in control of yourself while dreaming so don't stress too much.
(01-06-2010, 09:25 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: As a priest told me, "As a priest, you hear everything in the first week."

I agree. You could say nothing to a priest that he hasn't heard before, and any issue related to your soul is well within his area of responsibility - even sexuality.
(01-06-2010, 01:04 PM)SalveMater Wrote: ...everytime I wake up from them I feel so gross and disgusted with myself.

First off dont its not your fault. Secondly I would talk to someone like a Priest or maybe a Nun/Sister if you know any, if they continue. I doubt you have any demonic problems though most likely at your age its hormonal. I would suggest praying the rosary before bed and praying to St Mary Magdalene. If they continue then maybe consult a Priest/Nun. Chances are they'll run their course and go away. I  have a lot of expierience with sleep problems insomnia and weird dreams are a constant cross I have to bear so if ya just hang in there pray ask St Mary Magdalene and Our Lady to pray for you you should be fine in a week or so.

I'll say a pray for you too. :pray:
(01-06-2010, 09:19 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The last priest with whom I discussed a sexual matter in any detail was laicized within the year after that for male pederasty.

THAT is the reason I'd be leery of discussing anything like this with them, not because they couldn't offer godly spiritual advice.

Do you still believe in the sacraments, in this case the Sacrament of Reconciliation? How can you confess your sins, without telling details?
(01-07-2010, 07:47 AM)glgas Wrote:
(01-06-2010, 09:19 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The last priest with whom I discussed a sexual matter in any detail was laicized within the year after that for male pederasty.

Do you still believe in the sacraments, in this case the Sacrament of Reconciliation? How can you confess your sins, without telling details?

First, I do my best to avoid committing sins.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of penance.  Second, I keep my confessions fairly formal ("I committed calumny 2 times, adultery in my heart 1 time", etc).  If Father needs more context or details, he can ask (and they almost never do, no matter if they're trad, Novus Ordo or totally dippy) and I will tell him.