The Passion of Joan of Arc
The version with Voices of Light is outstanding. It was a tremendous hit with the Catholic culture club I advise at the school where I teach.
(01-08-2010, 01:45 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: So the Voice of Light is separate? Netflix just sends the DVD and you have to have VoL from another source?

No, the Voices of Light oratorio is a choice on the DVD's menu.  You can view the film silently, or with the oratorio.  In other words, the Voices of Light oratorio is on the DVD that comes from Netflix.

But you can purchase the oratorio separately as a CD or from iTunes.

:owl:

I saw the film back in Hungary in the sixties in movie theater, and listened to the oratorio here from the local Orchestra several years ago. They projected some scenes from the silent film. Both pounded the same message: the humility, obedience and endurance of St Joan of Arc, the Pucella.
(01-08-2010, 06:49 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(01-08-2010, 01:45 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: So the Voice of Light is separate? Netflix just sends the DVD and you have to have VoL from another source?

No, the Voices of Light oratorio is a choice on the DVD's menu.  You can view the film silently, or with the oratorio.  In other words, the Voices of Light oratorio is on the DVD that comes from Netflix.

Thanks, I saw the music on iTunes, glad I didn't pull the trigger quite, yet. I will get the disk from Netflix and try that out.
(01-09-2010, 04:11 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote:
(01-08-2010, 06:49 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:

Thanks, I saw the music on iTunes, glad I didn't pull the trigger quite, yet. I will get the disk from Netflix and try that out.

Yeah, it is the Criterion edition that has the silent film or with the score.
(01-07-2010, 10:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Oh and a little trivia. Joan of Arc's birthday was yesterday, January 6th.

Same as mine.   :)

Have a happy birthday (In Hungary the congratulation is valid within 8 days)