The next pope r.e. Liturgy
Can RRR's avatar be removed?
(01-08-2010, 01:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Can RRR's avatar be removed?

It's an interesting avatar. Why would you want it removed?

I was thinking about that.  While inappropriate, I have to admit I find it amusing.

Eh, I'd better remove it because it's an occasion of sin for me.  I keep laughing when I see it...
(01-08-2010, 01:54 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

It's inappropriate to cast a Pope as Darth Vader - a (fictional) symbol of evil incarnate.
(01-08-2010, 02:02 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-08-2010, 01:54 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

It's inappropriate to cast a Pope as Darth Vader - a (fictional) symbol of evil incarnate.

I thought it was an allusion to Austin Powers.
RRR Wrote:Edit... "Homily" of a Vatican II Sect Priest. I forgot, they don't give sermons, they give homilies...

So?

The shift from "sermon" to "homily" following the Council expressed a desire on the part of the Church to refocus our attention on the Scriptures at Mass, this being an increasing thrust of the Church during the past century or so. Yet as a practical reality, a homily and a sermon are the same thing.

It is like the shift from calling the Divine Office the Breviarium Romanum to calling the Divine Office the Liturgia Horarum. While the overt desire was to invite all believers to sing the Office (hence, "Liturgy," or pubic/communal worship), and while the desire was to refocus the attention of the believers on singing the Office at its proper times throughout the day (hence, the "of the Hours" bit), as a practical reality the Breviarium Romanum and the Liturgia Horarum are the same thing.

It is like the shift from calling the first half or Mass the "Mass of the Faithful" to calling it the "Liturgy of the Word." While the name change was deliberate, the practical thing is still the same: an introductory meditation on the Scriptures and possible feast of the day.
(01-08-2010, 02:12 PM)Credo Wrote: It is like the shift from calling the first half or Mass the "Mass of the Faithful" to calling it the "Liturgy of the Word." While the name change was deliberate, the practical thing is still the same: an introductory meditation on the Scriptures and possible feast of the day.

The first half of the Mass is the Mass of the Catechumens.
The second half of the Mass is the Mass of the Faithful.
Not to mention the deplorable change from "Mass" or "Holy Mass" to "Eucharist" in the common language of many Latin countries. It's frequent to see "Eucharist at 10h and 12h" in Church pamphlets.
(01-08-2010, 02:31 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Not the mention the deplorable change from "Mass" or "Holy Mass" to "Eucharist" in the common language of many Latin countries. It's frequent to see "Eucharist at 10h and 12h" in Church pamphlets.

But it's so much nicer to gather as a community for the Sunday Eucharistic Assembly to receive the Bread of Life from the Table of the Lord.  ;)
(01-08-2010, 02:41 PM)AlanF Wrote: But it's so much nicer to gather as a community for the Sunday Eucharistic Assembly to receive the Bread of Life from the Table of the Lord.  ;)

Nicer and more dangerous.