Brussels Sprouts
Fresh sprouts are such a treat!  Sorry I didn't get here in time for the half hour deadline, but here are some interesting recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/ingre...routs.html

I can't believe no one mentioned Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Ingredients
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 shallot, chopped
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
Salt and pepper, to your taste
1 cup chicken broth

Directions
Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.
I've already told y'all my baby cabbage story - these two crystal wearing vegan puppeteer friends of mine actually sat on me and made me eat one of those things. I struggled admirably for about a minute and then had to cave  - I wasn't going to die over some stupid stinky vegetable  

They were actually pretty good - and my kids will eat them because I keep forgetting what they're called every time I serve them.

;D
(01-09-2010, 12:27 PM)Paloma Wrote: blah blah blah blah Bacon!

blah blah
3 slices bacon!, blah blah
1 tablespoon blah-blah blah blah 1 blah blah blah blah
1 blah, blah
1 1/2 pounds blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah and blah, to your taste
1 cup blah blah

Directions
Brown bacon! blah  blah blah. Remove bacon! to a blah blah. Add blah blah blah, 1 turn. Add blah blah blah blahand saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add blah blah and coat in oil!. Season with blah and blah. Cook blah blah blah blah blah blah, then add broth. Bring blah blah to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, blah blah. Transfer blah blah blah and top with cooked bacon! bits.

:eats:
Excuse me for a moment:

Carry on...
(01-08-2010, 08:45 PM)Underdog Wrote: When my sisters and I were naughty as children my mother would threaten to serve us pig snouts and Brussels sprouts for dinner...blech!

:pig:

I used to threaten my daughter with onion soup, *lol*
Bubble & Squeak

350g Cooked Brussels Sprouts (chopped)
150g Sweet potato
300g Potato
50g Butter
100ml milk / cream.

1. Peel the potatoes and boil or steam.
2. Drain add cream / milk, butter and seasoning and mash.
3. Add the sprouts and mix.
4. Heat some oil in a frying pan.
5. Add the mixture and press down to cover the frying pan.
6. Turn the heat down to medium to brown the bottom (approx 7 - 8 min)
7. Turn over and brown other side.
8. Serve

N.B: Rather than doing one large you could spoon individual bubble and squeaks in to the pan, which would be easier to turn.

Pax.