Cold Weather Cookin: What Warms Your Kitchen?
Homemade Swedish meatballs (simmered in my crock pot) over egg noodles.  Yum.....!
Rachel Ray's recipie for "Stuffed Cabbage Stew-p"  its like a soup/stew.... takes less than 30 minutes to make and is oooohhhh soooooo good!
(01-12-2010, 04:22 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Homemade Swedish meatballs (simmered in my crock pot) over egg noodles.  Yum.....!

Got a recipe?  I just got back from shopping. HEB has these "combo loco" things where you buy one product and get another free, and I almost bought some pre-made swedish meatballs as part of it.... traded them back when I saw lasagna in the offer, and now I have a taste for the swedish meatballs! *LOL*

They had a bargain on green bell peppers so I bought a lot of those, too.  Chopping them up and mixing them with chopped celery and diced onions to freeze, then throw into jambalayas and soups. Gonna stuff a few big peppers with the meatloaf recipe, too, along with stuffed baked squash.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Swedish-Meatballs

I'm baking gingerbread...mmmmmmm.
Homemade Chili...I am from Texas after all. ;)

Spicy Jambalaya...my upbringing included alot of Creole and Italian food so this one is VERY comforting.

Hearty Beef Stews...although I don't make this one too much since the other occupants of my home don't care too much for it.  >:( However, it speaks warmth and comfort food to me.

(01-20-2010, 06:29 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: Homemade Chili...I am from Texas after all. ;)

Spicy Jambalaya...my upbringing included alot of Creole and Italian food so this one is VERY comforting.

Hearty Beef Stews...although I don't make this one too much since the other occupants of my home don't care too much for it.  >:( However, it speaks warmth and comfort food to me.

Got my best chili on the stove right now, the kind with both pork and beef in it, and no beans. Very meaty... in fact I often don't serve it in a bowl but will spoon it over rice.  Tonight, though, I will have it like Texas "Frito Pie" except I will use tostidos instead of fritos under the chili :)  Perfect for a damp grey day  :)
(01-20-2010, 06:59 PM)littlerose Wrote: Got my best chili on the stove right now, the kind with both pork and beef in it, and no beans. Very meaty... in fact I often don't serve it in a bowl but will spoon it over rice.  Tonight, though, I will have it like Texas "Frito Pie" except I will use tostidos instead of fritos under the chili :)  Perfect for a damp grey day  :)

That sounds amazing! :D Tostidos would be even better, I think.
(01-20-2010, 07:45 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(01-20-2010, 06:59 PM)littlerose Wrote: Got my best chili on the stove right now, the kind with both pork and beef in it, and no beans. Very meaty... in fact I often don't serve it in a bowl but will spoon it over rice.  Tonight, though, I will have it like Texas "Frito Pie" except I will use tostidos instead of fritos under the chili :)  Perfect for a damp grey day  :)

That sounds amazing! :D Tostidos would be even better, I think.

Yes, they are. I just finished a bowl and now I'm having a handful of cashews for desert.  The tostidos softened up but did not lose their shape under the juicy chili.  The one thing I didn't do was melt a layer of mexicali shredded cheese over the top. Next time! :D
It is a cold and windy day here, and I am baking bread. The whole house smells like warm, buttery oatmeal-honey bread. In fact, we'll be having bread and cheese for supper. We have this every Thursday; that way, when I pack Domini's lunch for work on Friday, he has some of the bread and cheese, along with cut-up vegetables, for lunch. I like to add olives, but they sell those at only one store around here. Very hard to come by.  :( I have those when I can. Domini and I love them, but none of the children do.

I might get some stuff for chili, too, but I have to order that in special from overseas. Beans are not a cheap food here, nor are they commonly available (at least not the kind for anything western!).
(01-21-2010, 03:06 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: It is a cold and windy day here, and I am baking bread. The whole house smells like warm, buttery oatmeal-honey bread. In fact, we'll be having bread and cheese for supper. We have this every Thursday; that way, when I pack Domini's lunch for work on Friday, he has some of the bread and cheese, along with cut-up vegetables, for lunch. I like to add olives, but they sell those at only one store around here. Very hard to come by.  :( I have those when I can. Domini and I love them, but none of the children do.

I might get some stuff for chili, too, but I have to order that in special from overseas. Beans are not a cheap food here, nor are they commonly available (at least not the kind for anything western!).

Do you mind my asking where you're from? A place without olives and cheap beans sounds sad. :(
Kudos on the homemade bread, btw, it sounds glorious! Fresh bread is one area of cooking that I keep meaning to break into!