Cold Weather Cookin: What Warms Your Kitchen?
(01-12-2010, 04:22 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Homemade Swedish meatballs (simmered in my crock pot) over egg noodles.  Yum.....!
Do you have a recipe?? Sounds DELISH!
Bought some roast tonight to prepare for my crock pot roast this weekend. Sat is gonna be roast day!  :eats:
Well, bread is in the oven right know. Two loaves.

Last night we had stew.

Last weekend I made chocolate cake, lasagna, meat loaf, meat balls, chili, mac and cheese and stuck most of that in the freezer for dinners...  Tonight it's pizza,  this weekend I'll make gingerbread men, cabbage soup, chicken fricassee. Maybe something else, I'll have to see what all I can make.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-21-2010, 11:50 AM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: Do you mind my asking where you're from? A place without olives and cheap beans sounds sad. :(
Kudos on the homemade bread, btw, it sounds glorious! Fresh bread is one area of cooking that I keep meaning to break into!

I live in the Tokyo suburbs. To get olives or the (expensive) beans, I have to go to specialty import shops or else order them in from overseas.  I have lived here for 20 years now, so I am used to it. I was born in the US, though.
Oatmeal honey bread sounds so good right now... Beer bread is another good one. I should dig up a recipe one of these days.

Chili. Curries. Soups and stews of course. Cabbage and sausage type of stuff is always good by me.

My favorite cabbage recipe is particularly good for winter:

Cabbage, cut up small.
Bacon, cut up small.
1-2 small onions diced.
Salt
Pepper
A bit of apple cider vinegar.

Cook bacon. Cook onions in bacon fat. Add cabbage, S&P, a bit of  vinegar, and some water. Just prportion is how you like it. Simmer it covered for 40 minutes of more. Eat with tasty German sausages and good dark beer.

I'm also a fan of combining potatoes and whatever else I have on hand in a skillet and melting cheese over it. Total comfort food! :-)
That cabbage looks good....

Does anyone have any suggestions for broccoli?
-------------------------

I've noticed the 15-bean packages have been on sale lately, so I stocked up. They are usually over $3 and come with a small packet of seasonings that I don't use. Whenever I see them hit $2 I buy them.

My version of 15-bean soup:

Soak the beans overnight and into the afternoon.

Saute the meat in bacon drippings if you have them, oil if you don't: (often my meat is country sausage sliced up oblong to get the juices out)

Saute chopped onions and celery until translucent

Add seasonings.  If it is beef sausage, I use powdered onion soup or beef bouillion powder (I use Watkins' but any brand will do)  I also add dried basil, paprika, and garlic, also salt and pepper.  (lately I use a garlic-pepper combination spice) If it is pork sausage, I use the "ham" flavoring that came with the beans as well as onion soup powder.

Then add the beans and cover generously with water and bring them to a boil, then immediately put them down to low heat to simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 hours.

This soup is best allowed to season for a day befoe reheating and serving. Sprinkle some cilantro or italian parsley across the top for a little greenery. If you freeze the soup, some of the beans break down and it is even better. It is a very hearty soup, a meal in itself.
(01-22-2010, 01:09 PM)littlerose Wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions for broccoli?
-------------------------

Cooking it with chicken broth, cream, bacon and a lot of cheese, then blending it with either a stick blender or in a regular blender makes an awesome soup.
sounds good: cheddar cheese, I suppose? How much, equal parts cream & cheese? 

It looks as though it might be thick enough to spoon over egg noodles.
For Broccoli, I make Pasta with chicken and broccoli, from an America's test kitchen recipe. The library might have the book, but basically you steam the broccoli and add it in at the end, cook the chicken in a white wine/sundried tomato/basil sauce , and mix with the pasta. It's really tasty.
(01-22-2010, 03:09 PM)Anastasia Wrote: For Broccoli, I make Pasta with chicken and broccoli, from an America's test kitchen recipe. The library might have the book, but basically you steam the broccoli and add it in at the end, cook the chicken in a white wine/sundried tomato/basil sauce , and mix with the pasta. It's really tasty.

Oh, yum! I have all those ingredients handy, too... I think I will make this tomorow.  Today is smoked catfish & potatoes & salad day.