Is Alcoholism Genetic?
We've all heard the stereotype of the drunk Irishman. But my father's family is all Scots-Irish from the hills and all the men are drunks. Do you think this is genetic or just a personal choice? Do genes actually have anything to do with it? Or is it the culture of moonshiners etc that make drunks? Or is it just the hard life of a sharecropper with 19 children that drives a man to the drink regardless of other influences? The drink is great and all but is it my genes that make me drink or is it something else? Opinions, comments, concerns?

pax

Brevis Vir

edited for spelling errors made in an inebriated state.

excessive post deleted.
Why can't it be both?

So, there are genes that have even been identified that are associated with alcoholism. So the short answer is yes.

But it's not only genetic. One may still never 'become' an alcoholic, or use alcohol in the way that an alcoholic does even with the gene.

They would certainly be more prone to though.

Can certain lifestyles 'drive one to drink'? I'd say absolutely yes. Who, except teatotallers, doesn't cope with a stiff drink once in awhile? Is that not solving one's problems with booze? Well, multiply that with a very, very stressful lifestyle and such a person would drink xtimes more often, ergo, drink like an alcoholic.

Addictions can be both. Someone can not have the genes and have the behaviors, and have the genes and never manifest.
excessive post deleted.
(01-10-2010, 05:51 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Why can't it be both?

So, there are genes that have even been identified that are associated with alcoholism. So the short answer is yes.

But it's not only genetic. One may still never 'become' an alcoholic, or use alcohol in the way that an alcoholic does even with the gene.

They would certainly be more prone to though.

Can certain lifestyles 'drive one to drink'? I'd say absolutely yes. Who, except teatotallers, doesn't cope with a stiff drink once in awhile? Is that not solving one's problems with booze? Well, multiply that with a very, very stressful lifestyle and such a person would drink xtimes more often, ergo, drink like an alcoholic.

Addictions can be both. Someone can not have the genes and have the behaviors, and have the genes and never manifest.
That makes sense.
excessive post deleted.
Haha, you're typing worse than DK :laughing:...go get a glass of water amigo.
(01-10-2010, 06:38 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: Haha, you're typing worse than DK :laughing:...go get a glass of water amigo.

You really do have a great quote from King Louis.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

and I did actually pray for you.  :)
(01-10-2010, 06:38 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: Haha, you're typing worse than DK :laughing:...go get a glass of water amigo.

I did actually go get a glass of water on your advice.  :laughing:
I think it's both. My Irish grandfather was a drunk.  No alcoholics on the Italian or Lithuanian sides.  But I know lots of Irish that aren't alcoholics either.

I also think you need some coffee, a few pre-emptive ibuprofens, and a nap.  Your head is going to be hurtin' tomorrow.  :awww: