Is Alcoholism Genetic?
(01-10-2010, 06:54 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 06:38 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: Haha, you're typing worse than DK :laughing:...go get a glass of water amigo.

sryiously I am praying fer ya./  :pray: :pray: :pray:

Haha, thanks man, I'll pray for you too...I'll pray you don't have work tomorrow, because working after a 'good' night is the worst thing in the world.
(01-10-2010, 07:28 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: Haha, thanks man, I'll pray for you too...I'll pray you don't have work tomorrow, because working after a 'good' night is the worst thing in the world.

That's the second worst thing after a "good" night.  First is going to Mass.  I learned that "Friday night is for drinking, Saturday is for behaving" the hard way.

I also learned it was a bad idea to be going upstairs to bed while your dad is headed downstairs to go to work...
(01-10-2010, 07:32 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 07:28 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: Haha, thanks man, I'll pray for you too...I'll pray you don't have work tomorrow, because working after a 'good' night is the worst thing in the world.

That's the second worst thing after a "good" night.  First is going to Mass.  I learned that "Friday night is for drinking, Saturday is for behaving" the hard way.

I also learned it was a bad idea to be going upstairs to bed while your dad is headed downstairs to go to work...

I've yet to experience the Mass one, so I'll take your word for it. The parents one I've experienced so many times I think they're just happy that I'm still alive so they don't say anything about it  :laughing: Though I will say, if you're going to crash at a friends house, do not sleep in til 1pm the next day, otherwise your mother, not knowing your whereabouts...may call the coppers.  ;) Get up nice and early and give them a call.
I think it's both, although I don't think there's actually an "alcoholic gene." I suspect alcoholism is a bad manifestation of a neutral genetic trait.

But look at it this way, too: If you grow up with a drunken father, you are more likely to drink, not because of your genes, but because you saw the behavior modelled regularly by one of your two main role models. You'll also probably want to get drunk because growing up with a drunken father is pretty miserable.

(Lest anyone accuse me of sexism, I know that mothers are often drunks, too, I'm just thinking of the situation that I've seen personally.)
I have read that it is. If you are a child of an alcoholic, your supposed to be %60 more likely to be an alcoholic. My grampa was an alcohoic, my dad and uncle are, but so far, doesnt look like any of us kids are.
I think its to do with environment really more than genetics.

Although the stereotype of a 'drunk Irishman' is well known, it certainly has no basis in reality.

I think what Americans dont understand is that Irish people drink a lot. Its nothing to do with addiction or alcoholism, its cultural, even before the hedonistic materialistic culture which exists now in Ireland, Irish people drank a large volume of alchohol. But in general (apart from young people when they are out - which is universal across the world) Irish people dont get drunk.

At the most.....a bit merry.....maybe a bit tipsy.

Irish men have a massive tolerance for alcohol. Our threshold for drinking is much higher than other people. Its not uncommon for people to drink 10/11 pints in a night and not be totally hammered. Again its not genetic its just habit.

Same as the French, they drink from a very young age and drunkeness is not really a cultural problem in France.

On the other hand I am constantly surprised at the low threshold of Americans when drinking. I lived for a year in New York and Delaware and whenever I went out people were shocked at how much and how quickly I was drinking. I noticed how Americans drink a lot of bottles as well rather than pints. I suppose this varies across America but I would say as a whole there is a fairly low tolerance for alcohol.

Its usually quite funny when my American cousins visit here once every two or three years, they really cant handle more than 3 or 4 bottles.
(01-10-2010, 12:46 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Its usually quite funny when my American cousins visit here once every two or three years, they really cant handle more than 3 or 4 bottles.

Hey, I am working as hard as I can to raise the national average.....
I think it is completely nurture (environment).  I don't think nature (genetic makeup) enters into it at all.  Everything that happens to a child in utero goes into making that person who he is: the sounds, sights (light exposure), food/drink (beyond nourishment, they flavor the amniotic fluid), hormones (which is why a mother's emotional state can affect her unborn baby's).  Also, once baby is born, he learns his parents' habits.  That is why many fat people have fat children.  As for alcoholism, even if a child never sees his alcoholic parent drink, there are other behaviors through which an alcoholic will predispose his child to alcoholism (how he deals with stress, expresses emotions, etc.).  If the child does not become an alcoholic, he may have (an)other addiction(s).

So, an alcoholic mother may predispose her child to alcoholism merely by imparting such a strong taste for it to her baby in utero.  An alcoholic father may predispose his child to alcoholism by the way that he behaves around that child.

That's my $.02.  I think geneticists have employed mostly speculation when identifying genes that govern behavior.  They seem to be looking for a way to blame our genes for what we do instead of our wills.  Again, just mho.

Of course, I could be wrong.  :D
(01-10-2010, 01:01 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 12:46 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Its usually quite funny when my American cousins visit here once every two or three years, they really cant handle more than 3 or 4 bottles.

Hey, I am working as hard as I can to raise the national average.....

lol
Wow. I am surprised I had the state of mind to put this in the correct sub forum- that was for you Quis!  :laughing:

It was all a blur of bluegrass, a thousand dogs about my feet, and singing last night. Fun times. I apologize for the poor grammar. I was genuinely interested in the question though. It just hit me at a time when it was very difficult to type.

pax