Is Alcoholism Genetic?
(01-10-2010, 01:55 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: Wow. I am surprised I had the state of mind to put this in the correct sub forum- that was for you Quis!  :laughing:

It was all a blur of bluegrass, a thousand dogs about my feet, and singing last night. Fun times. I apologize for the poor grammar. I was genuinely interested in the question though. It just hit me at a time when it was very difficult to type.

pax

Just blame your fat thumbs.  sip sip    ;D
(01-10-2010, 12:46 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: I think its to do with environment really more than genetics.

Although the stereotype of a 'drunk Irishman' is well known, it certainly has no basis in reality.

I think what Americans dont understand is that Irish people drink a lot. Its nothing to do with addiction or alcoholism, its cultural, even before the hedonistic materialistic culture which exists now in Ireland, Irish people drank a large volume of alchohol. But in general (apart from young people when they are out - which is universal across the world) Irish people dont get drunk.

At the most.....a bit merry.....maybe a bit tipsy.

Irish men have a massive tolerance for alcohol. Our threshold for drinking is much higher than other people. Its not uncommon for people to drink 10/11 pints in a night and not be totally hammered. Again its not genetic its just habit.

Same as the French, they drink from a very young age and drunkeness is not really a cultural problem in France.

On the other hand I am constantly surprised at the low threshold of Americans when drinking. I lived for a year in New York and Delaware and whenever I went out people were shocked at how much and how quickly I was drinking. I noticed how Americans drink a lot of bottles as well rather than pints. I suppose this varies across America but I would say as a whole there is a fairly low tolerance for alcohol.

Its usually quite funny when my American cousins visit here once every two or three years, they really cant handle more than 3 or 4 bottles.

This is extremely true. I bartend...so being able to hold my liquor is a job requirement...and its pretty funny to hear all my buddies at universities across the country brag about how much they drink and how much better their tolerance is...and they come home and by their 5th bottle they're on the ground. Meanwhile I'm on my 10th and I'm having a very stimulating philosophical conversation with someone, feeling as sober as a judge  :P
I know for me personally, and this is NOT a cop-out, but I drink a lot...of anything. Not just alcohol...a 2Litre jug of orange juice I'll sip up in hours...8 glasses of water? Make it 16...I keep up my fluid intake, I'll say that much. And if its cold, and delicious, and I'm thirsty, then beer it is...until I run out of it, of course.
(01-10-2010, 02:30 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: This is extremely true. I bartend...so being able to hold my liquor is a job requirement...and its pretty funny to hear all my buddies at universities across the country brag about how much they drink and how much better their tolerance is...and they come home and by their 5th bottle they're on the ground. Meanwhile I'm on my 10th and I'm having a very stimulating philosophical conversation with someone, feeling as sober as a judge  :P
I know for me personally, and this is NOT a cop-out, but I drink a lot...of anything. Not just alcohol...a 2Litre jug of orange juice I'll sip up in hours...8 glasses of water? Make it 16...I keep up my fluid intake, I'll say that much. And if its cold, and delicious, and I'm thirsty, then beer it is...until I run out of it, of course.

Sounds expensive...even if we're just talking oj.  :)
(01-10-2010, 02:30 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 12:46 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: I think its to do with environment really more than genetics.

Although the stereotype of a 'drunk Irishman' is well known, it certainly has no basis in reality.

I think what Americans dont understand is that Irish people drink a lot. Its nothing to do with addiction or alcoholism, its cultural, even before the hedonistic materialistic culture which exists now in Ireland, Irish people drank a large volume of alchohol. But in general (apart from young people when they are out - which is universal across the world) Irish people dont get drunk.

At the most.....a bit merry.....maybe a bit tipsy.

Irish men have a massive tolerance for alcohol. Our threshold for drinking is much higher than other people. Its not uncommon for people to drink 10/11 pints in a night and not be totally hammered. Again its not genetic its just habit.

Same as the French, they drink from a very young age and drunkeness is not really a cultural problem in France.

On the other hand I am constantly surprised at the low threshold of Americans when drinking. I lived for a year in New York and Delaware and whenever I went out people were shocked at how much and how quickly I was drinking. I noticed how Americans drink a lot of bottles as well rather than pints. I suppose this varies across America but I would say as a whole there is a fairly low tolerance for alcohol.

Its usually quite funny when my American cousins visit here once every two or three years, they really cant handle more than 3 or 4 bottles.

This is extremely true. I bartend...so being able to hold my liquor is a job requirement...and its pretty funny to hear all my buddies at universities across the country brag about how much they drink and how much better their tolerance is...and they come home and by their 5th bottle they're on the ground. Meanwhile I'm on my 10th and I'm having a very stimulating philosophical conversation with someone, feeling as sober as a judge  :P

I've found the same true for those city boys that have never had moonshine. They have a sip and spit it out! After a severe reprimand for wasting it, (my cousin has to give a quarter of it to the sheriff in order to not get arrested)  ;D they drink a glass and they fall over!  :laughing: Those of us who were raised on it can drink much more. Once you have had some good Tennessee moonshine anything else just doesn't cut it for getting tight. I have no idea what proof it is...high. Anyone have any idea?  ???

pax
(01-10-2010, 12:46 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Irish men have a massive tolerance for alcohol. Our threshold for drinking is much higher than other people. Its not uncommon for people to drink 10/11 pints in a night and not be totally hammered. Again its not genetic its just habit.

The ability to develop a high tolerance is genetic, and it's , what makes a person more prone to becoming an alcoholic.  Generally speaking, the irish, eskimos, and mongolians are notorious for alcoholism.  I know that many other people become alcoholics too, but those in particular are well known for easily becoming alcoholic.  What do they have in common?  They all come from harsh, cold climates.  I think it's their very toughness that enables them to consume large quantities of alcohol without it making them sick.

The main difference between a true alcoholic and a casual drinker is that the alcoholic can drink a much larger amount before vomiting.  It doesn't mean the alcohol isn't hurting them, it is, but the way their bodies metabolize poison allows them to drink more than your average joe.  It has been scientifically proven that alcoholics metabolize alcohol differently, and this is the basis behind the idea that there is an alcoholic gene.
(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: The ability to develop a high tolerance is genetic, and it's , what makes a person more prone to becoming an alcoholic.

Prove it.....the reality is thats bs

(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: Generally speaking, the irish, eskimos, and mongolians are notorious for alcoholism.  I know that many other people become alcoholics too, but those in particular are well known for easily becoming alcoholic.

Rubbish thats exactly what I pointed out in my post. The Irish are not notorius for alcoholism. Its just a negative stereotype which has no basis in reality. I know - I was born and raised here in Ireland.

(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: What do they have in common?  They all come from harsh, cold climates.  I think it's their very toughness that enables them to consume large quantities of alcohol without it making them sick.

Thats not very scientific, its pure speculation. And Ireland is not a harsh cold climate. Its a temperate climate, it doesnt get too cold or too hot.

(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: The main difference between a true alcoholic and a casual drinker is that the alcoholic can drink a much larger amount before vomiting.  It doesn't mean the alcohol isn't hurting them, it is, but the way their bodies metabolize poison allows them to drink more than your average joe.  It has been scientifically proven that alcoholics metabolize alcohol differently, and this is the basis behind the idea that there is an alcoholic gene.

Utter trash...... are you calling me an alcoholic? Or the majority of men in Ireland? We can drink a large amount of alcohol, I myself have no problem with 8 pints, after that I stop.

By your weird logic, Im an alcoholic.
These aren't my ideas tradmaverick, I learned these things in human physiology classes.  But I suppose if it hurts your feelings and sensibilities, warranting the label "utter trash" then science should just be thrown out the window.
(01-10-2010, 04:02 PM)tradmaverick Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: The main difference between a true alcoholic and a casual drinker is that the alcoholic can drink a much larger amount before vomiting.  It doesn't mean the alcohol isn't hurting them, it is, but the way their bodies metabolize poison allows them to drink more than your average joe.  It has been scientifically proven that alcoholics metabolize alcohol differently, and this is the basis behind the idea that there is an alcoholic gene.

Utter trash...... are you calling me an alcoholic? Or the majority of men in Ireland? We can drink a large amount of alcohol, I myself have no problem with 8 pints, after that I stop.

By your weird logic, Im an alcoholic.
I should make the following correction:  It's the difference between someone who is more likely to become alcoholic, versus a casual drinker.
(01-10-2010, 04:12 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: These aren't my ideas tradmaverick, I learned these things in human physiology classes.  But I suppose if it hurts your feelings and sensibilities, warranting the label "utter trash" then science should just be thrown out the window.

Oh really? Prove it.

What is easily affirmed is easily denied......

So start typing....until you prove it.....its a horrible accusation on the Irish people (er...and on the mongolians and eskimos  ::))

EDIT to add: Oh and btw, we all know modern science is FULL of errors, look at geology, the theory of evolution, archaeology and medicine....absolutely full of errors.
(01-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: [They all come from harsh, cold climates.

Are you going to take this back or not? Its flat out wrong. (Well I dont know about mongolia or where eskimos live...but I do know my own country)