Is Alcoholism Genetic?
(01-10-2010, 07:04 PM)Satori Wrote: I guess aggression and rudeness are no problem with the Irish, either. Nope, not at all.

Well there is definitely a problem with saying that aggression and rudeness are characteristics of the Irish, especially if one is basing it on the behaviour of one Irish person.  It is morally wrong to make sweeping negative generalizations about an ethnic group, nationality, etc. and it is illogical to make any generalization based on too small a sample size.

However, using the scientific method to investigate if there is a correlation between measurable phenomena and ethnicity is quite reasonable. 
(01-10-2010, 09:05 PM)JayneK Wrote: Well there is definitely a problem with saying that aggression and rudeness are characteristics of the Irish, especially if one is basing it on the behaviour of one Irish person.  It is morally wrong to make sweeping negative generalizations about an ethnic group, nationality, etc. and it is illogical to make any generalization based on too small a sample size.

lol.... ironic.....I believe we have been there before....I take my hat off to you my lady  :tiphat:
(01-10-2010, 09:05 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 07:04 PM)Satori Wrote: I guess aggression and rudeness are no problem with the Irish, either. Nope, not at all.

Well there is definitely a problem with saying that aggression and rudeness are characteristics of the Irish, especially if one is basing it on the behaviour of one Irish person.  It is morally wrong to make sweeping negative generalizations about an ethnic group, nationality, etc. and it is illogical to make any generalization based on too small a sample size.

However, using the scientific method to investigate if there is a correlation between measurable phenomena and ethnicity is quite reasonable. 

You're taking me far too literally. I was being sarcastic because I was taken aback by this poster's aggression toward Inoin, who obviously meant no offense to him. I certainly do not think the Irish are generally rude and aggressive any more than I think they are generally alcoholics. I'm sorry, I thought my point was clear.
(01-10-2010, 09:11 PM)Satori Wrote: You're taking me far too literally. I was being sarcastic because I was taken aback by this poster's aggression toward Inoin, who obviously meant no offense to him. I certainly do not think the Irish are generally rude and aggressive any more than I think they are generally alcoholics. I'm sorry, I thought my point was clear.

I know she wasnt specifically trying to cause offense to me....obviously.

But she DID offend me, regardless of her intent. She offended me by calumnating my entire race. We are not notorius alcoholics and I take extreme offense at such a statement. Im entitled to somewhat annoyed at such a statement.

Why cant YOU see that she was being rude?

Its like if I went around saying Americans are known for being drug addicts - is it true no. Is there some drug addicts in America..yes, but Americans are not notorius drug addicts.
(01-10-2010, 09:19 PM)tradmaverick Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 09:11 PM)Satori Wrote: You're taking me far too literally. I was being sarcastic because I was taken aback by this poster's aggression toward Inoin, who obviously meant no offense to him. I certainly do not think the Irish are generally rude and aggressive any more than I think they are generally alcoholics. I'm sorry, I thought my point was clear.

I know she wasnt specifically trying to cause offense to me....obviously.

But she DID offend me, regardless of her intent. She offended me by calumnating my entire race. We are not notorius alcoholics and I take extreme offense at such a statement. Im entitled to somewhat annoyed at such a statement.

Why cant YOU see that she was being rude?

Its like if I went around saying Americans are known for being drug addicts - is it true no. Is there some drug addicts in America..yes, but Americans are not notorius drug addicts.

Hey! But we ARE drug addicts!

Well, true or not, the Irish do have a reputation for heavy drinking, at least here in the States. But that is not the point. Correct her if you know something she doesn't, but there isn't any reason to jump down her throat. Personally, I'm more astounded that anyone would compare the climate of Ireland to that of Mongolia or the areas where the Inuit live.
Ok its not my intention to jump down her throat. I certainly didnt intend to.

And if my tone seems harsh, its only because the statement is harsh.

I do feel strongly that we shouldnt come on the internet and bluff about things we dont know, we should be who we really are, and then maybe we will actually spiritually benefit from this forum. But if we come on here pretending we know something and in the process branding a whole race as alcoholics then we are gone well astray.

And in charity and justice an apology or a withdrawal at least is necessary.

I could tell your point was that you thought that tradmaverick was being rude and aggressive.  I'm glad that you do not really think this about Irish people in general.  That is what it sounded to me like you were saying in order to make your point.
(01-10-2010, 09:23 PM)Satori Wrote: Well, true or not, the Irish do have a reputation for heavy drinking, at least here in the States. But that is not the point. Correct her if you know something she doesn't, but there isn't any reason to jump down her throat. Personally, I'm more astounded that anyone would compare the climate of Ireland to that of Mongolia or the areas where the Inuit live.
Well then, perhaps I am wrong, because I always thought that Ireland was a bit of a harsh climate.
(01-10-2010, 09:27 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: I do feel strongly that we shouldnt come on the internet and bluff about things we dont know, we should be who we really are, and then maybe we will actually spiritually benefit from this forum. But if we come on here pretending we know something and in the process branding a whole race as alcoholics then we are gone well astray.

And in charity and justice an apology or a withdrawal at least is necessary.

Okay, I apologize for offending you.  I should have stated that I was just postulating and throwing together bits of information that I had learned here and there, and that in no way am I to be taken seriously as an authority on any matter whatsoever.
(01-10-2010, 09:33 PM)Inion_Coinin Wrote: Well then, perhaps I am wrong, because I always thought that Ireland was a bit of a harsh climate.

At the moment because of the freak weather we are having (the whole country has come to standstill because of ice and snow - and seen as how we are not used to it, the government messes up big time, lots of main roads are closed....its a scandal....), but normally Ireland has the greatest climate in the world, not too hot, not too cold.

Temperate