Missing parts of the Mass due to infant care
If one brings a fussy infant to church, how much of Mass may one miss (with all the exiting and returning, distraction, etc.) before your attendance fails to meet your Sunday obligation and is there a point one should abstain from receiving Holy Communion on such a day? 
(01-10-2010, 05:00 PM)Miquelot Wrote: If one bring a fussy infant to church, how much of Mass may one miss (with all the exiting and returning, distraction, etc.) before your attendance fails to meet your Sunday obligation and is there a point one should abstain from receiving Holy Communion on such a day? 

1./ Caring about infants is legal excuse to miss the Sunday or Holy Day obligation

2./ The valid presence required from the beginning of the Offertory to the Communion of the priest inclusive

3./ Imho the presence in the crying area is presence, and one changing in the restroom does not breaks the presence
(01-10-2010, 05:09 PM)glgas Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 05:00 PM)Miquelot Wrote: If one bring a fussy infant to church, how much of Mass may one miss (with all the exiting and returning, distraction, etc.) before your attendance fails to meet your Sunday obligation and is there a point one should abstain from receiving Holy Communion on such a day? 

1./ Caring about infants is legal excuse to miss the Sunday or Holy Day obligation

2./ The valid presence required from the beginning of the Offertory to the Communion of the priest inclusive

3./ Imho the presence in the crying area is presence, and one changing in the restroom does not breaks the presence

Cant believe Im saying this....but glgas got this one right!

If you have an infant....dont worry about it. Its legitamte even to stay at home if necessary
I think it's safe to say that Mom has the best of intentions of being present at Mass. Her spirit is in the pews even if her body is in the vestibule or the crying room; even if distractions carry her thoughts miles away. One doesn't need to be a Mom with an infant for that to happen.
(01-10-2010, 05:00 PM)Miquelot Wrote: If one brings a fussy infant to church, how much of Mass may one miss (with all the exiting and returning, distraction, etc.) before your attendance fails to meet your Sunday obligation and is there a point one should abstain from receiving Holy Communion on such a day? 

If you have to care for a baby (or I imagine anyone who requires such care), then you aren't obligated to attend to mass.

You can receive if you are ready; you do not need to be in the pew the entire time.
Many here have said caring for infants abrogates the Sunday obligation, but my question could equally pertain to the distractions that arise from bringing a child of any age to Mass. 
(01-10-2010, 06:50 PM)Miquelot Wrote: Many here have said caring for infants abrogates the Sunday obligation, but my question could equally pertain to the distractions that arise from bringing a child of any age to Mass. 

"infant" is vague. You could apply it to any child under the age of reason.

Above the age of reason, I'm not sure; but if one had to deal with family matters urgently, I can't see how that would not be allowed.
(01-10-2010, 06:54 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-10-2010, 06:50 PM)Miquelot Wrote: Many here have said caring for infants abrogates the Sunday obligation, but my question could equally pertain to the distractions that arise from bringing a child of any age to Mass. 

"infant" is vague. You could apply it to any child under the age of reason.

Above the age of reason, I'm not sure; but if one had to deal with family matters urgently, I can't see how that would not be allowed.

Under the age of reason is what I was getting at, yes. 
Everyone else has answered your question as I would.  It reminds me of a poem that I wrote when I had several small children:
Quote:Blessed Are The Frazzled

I can state without hestitation
That Mass is supposed to be
A time of quiet and meditation
On our Faith and its mysteries

But there is no reflection and quiet
When accompanied by my family
At worst, it is more like a riot
Mass does not seem planned for me

The choir has rehearesed for hours
Music to inspire lofty thoughts
But alas they do not have the power
To stop the squabbling of my tots

No lofty thoughts can be inspired
While I'm busy as a referee
Instead, I think of how I'm tired
Of "Mommy, she stuck her tongue out at me"

The priest, a very learned man
Has prepared an erudite homily
I always listen when I can
But someone says, "I have to pee"

It's beyond my powers of concentration
To follow the reading and the prayers
I feel a builiding sense of frustration
That somehow this really isn't fair

I'm doing my best to do my duty
To raise a Christian family
But in the Mass, with all its beauty
Where is some support for me?

I have given up on concentration
"Children won't you please sit still"
By the time we reach the Consecration
"OK kids, its time to kneel"

I get in the Communion line
In a rather frazzled state
When the thought enters my mind
That I don't need to concentrate

Without my help, without my power
God is the One who transforms the bread
Even if I sit there an hour
Wihout hearing a word that has been said

Christ Himself enters my soul
And I am transformed by hope
The Love of God makes me whole
Gives me strength to help me cope

The Mass is for me, after all
Not just prepared for others
Though I misss out on the preaching and singing and all
Communion is for mothers.
I've been wondering about this myself. It's gotten to the point that I miss Mass on the days that I would have to take my toddler to church by myself because I can no longer handle her at Mass alone.