Spinoff on Holy Days
(01-11-2010, 11:46 AM)timoose Wrote: Not being a smart guy, but who gains more merit; one that abstains from meat on Friday on his /her own or one who does so under penalty of sin? Obeying laws is mandatory and not laudatory, the way I see it. Am I wrong???
tim

Well, Tim, I think it is always better to go the extra mile. That's the heart of the Gospel.
As my pastor explained it once in a sermon: fear and guilt has its place. It is good when we should feel it, when it convicts us and inspires us to improve. It's the Holy Spirit tapping us on the shoulder, saying, "No.. not that way... this way."

What we must avoid is the preoccupation with fear and guilt, which stifles grace and spiritual growth.
(01-11-2010, 11:46 AM)timoose Wrote: Not being a smart guy, but who gains more merit; one that abstains from meat on Friday on his /her own or one who does so under penalty of sin? Obeying laws is mandatory and not laudatory, the way I see it. Am I wrong???
tim

Obedience is laudatory.  When people take spiritual disciplines upon themselves they are in danger of pride.  Going beyond obedience should usually only be done by people who are being supervised by a spiritual director.

It is more meritorious to obey out of love of God or out of a wish to avoid offending Him than to obey out of fear of punishment.
Again then not to be a pain, all of us here should eat meat on Fridays and days of partial abstinence, except where directed by our particular Bishop, or unless a Priest spiritually directing us has allowed us to do so?
tim
(01-11-2010, 04:05 PM)timoose Wrote: Again then not to be a pain, all of us here should eat meat on Fridays and days of partial abstinence, except where directed by our particular Bishop, or unless a Priest spiritually directing us has allowed us to do so?
tim

Of course not. The first step is to accept the duties and obligations that come with one's state in life.  Doing more or less than this is likely to need the advice of a spiritual director.  For many people, this is ideally the same priest who hears their Confessions.
Edit; I omitted the part about confession, in the previous post, just so you know.
tim
tim

Does one gain anything by being obedient?
Getting rid of the meatless fridays and moving Holy Days of obligation to the nearest Sunday just makes people lazy in their faith. If you cant go to Mass twice a week on Sunday and then some other day in the week for a Holy Day thats just sad. And the meatless fridays was never abrogated anyway. :pazzo:
(01-11-2010, 06:09 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Does one gain anything by being obedient?

spiritual growth
(01-11-2010, 11:02 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-11-2010, 06:09 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Does one gain anything by being obedient?

spiritual growth

A disciplined will, to be a little more precise.