Pretty amazing survival food cookbook
(01-15-2010, 05:01 PM)lonewanderer Wrote: Just because they don't mention it does not mean they do not have it. A wheat grinder is probably one of the first items they would purchase. It might be one of those items they assume everyone knows about and not mention it.

Oh, I get that, but this from their site is what had me wondering about electricity:

Quote:Mix, put in shallow tray, and freeze solid. Break in small chunks and beat with electric mixer, bender or juicer. Serve in miniature cones made from dough #51."

How do they power the mixer, blender, or juicer.  What about the freezer?

(01-15-2010, 05:09 PM)Texican Wrote: Oh, I get that, but this from their site is what had me wondering about electricity:

Quote:Mix, put in shallow tray, and freeze solid. Break in small chunks and beat with electric mixer, bender or juicer. Serve in miniature cones made from dough #51."

How do they power the mixer, blender, or juicer.  What about the freezer?

I actually tried unsuccessfully to get a thread going on emergency/supplementary power ideas.

Anyway, one example is head to harbor freight and pick yourself up a 200 dollar solar rig.

There's youtube vids of people powering a couple lights  *and* a big  screen TV off that 200$ rig!

You'd have it until the storage battery stopped taking charge (some last a decade or more!)

After that, there's  hand grinders, like the Coronas they used to sell in the Whole Earth Catalog.
They're surely making something along those lines still.
If you were prepared enough, and had secured the right location, theres no reason one couldnt be able to generate their own electricity.  
(01-15-2010, 05:23 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I actually tried unsuccessfully to get a thread going on emergency/supplementary power ideas.

Anyway, one example is head to harbor freight and pick yourself up a 200 dollar solar rig.

There's youtube vids of people powering a couple lights  *and* a big  screen TV off that 200$ rig!

You'd have it until the storage battery stopped taking charge (some last a decade or more!)

After that, there's  hand grinders, like the Coronas they used to sell in the Whole Earth Catalog.
They're surely making something along those lines still.

I must have missed that thread. 

You could use solar panels to charge some deep-cycle batteries, and then power an inverter, thereby having AC power to use around your home/site.
You could also get a small generator, and use pedal-power to turn it, and do the same thing.  Obviously, this would be much more labor-intensive, but during times of little sunlight, or for supplementary power, this could help.

(01-15-2010, 05:23 PM)HotRod Wrote: If you were prepared enough, and had secured the right location, theres no reason one couldnt be able to generate their own electricity.  

Setting up near some kind of stream would definitely help in this regard.  A paddle-wheel arrangement, hooked up to a generator would definitely be the way to go.  While this could be used to power things directly, it could also be used to charge batteries for later use.
there are near unlimited ways to come up with alternative energy. even unique methods such as using a peltier device to generate electricity from the heat of a stove.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/11/2/31928/0770