Urban cavemen?!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashio...veman.html
Amusing how my generation and the Millies below me, having been severed from their birthrights, lash out to any extreme looking to belong or fit into something that doesn't resemble the 20th Century.
Quote:They regularly grumble about vegans, whom they regard as a misguided, rival tribe. But much of the conversation is spent parsing the law of the jungle. The most severe interpretations generally come from Vladimir Averbukh, a jaunty red-headed Web manager for the city who was born in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Upon visiting Mr. Durant’s apartment for the first time, in August, Mr. Averbukh scowled at a tomato plant on his host’s roof deck.

“Cavemen don’t eat nightshades,” Mr. Averbukh, 29, said. He explained that tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, arguing that they are native to the New World and could not have been part of humanity’s earliest diet. Mr. Durant shrugged. (Mr. Durant said later that there was nothing uncavemannish about eating tomatoes.)

Mr. Averbukh is a pre-Promethean sort of caveman. Much of his nourishment comes from grass-fed ground beef, which he eats raw. In a bow to the times, he sometimes uses a fork.

The other cavemen in New York find Mr. Averbukh’s preference for raw beef a little strange.

“I draw the line at sushi,” Andrew Sanocki said. “Paleo man had fire, didn’t he?”

I guess there is a trad in every bunch. Judging from the fork I'd say that he reads TIA. :laughing:
(01-12-2010, 05:34 AM)Marc Wrote:
Quote:They regularly grumble about vegans, whom they regard as a misguided, rival tribe. But much of the conversation is spent parsing the law of the jungle. The most severe interpretations generally come from Vladimir Averbukh, a jaunty red-headed Web manager for the city who was born in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Upon visiting Mr. Durant’s apartment for the first time, in August, Mr. Averbukh scowled at a tomato plant on his host’s roof deck.

“Cavemen don’t eat nightshades,” Mr. Averbukh, 29, said. He explained that tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, arguing that they are native to the New World and could not have been part of humanity’s earliest diet. Mr. Durant shrugged. (Mr. Durant said later that there was nothing uncavemannish about eating tomatoes.)

Mr. Averbukh is a pre-Promethean sort of caveman. Much of his nourishment comes from grass-fed ground beef, which he eats raw. In a bow to the times, he sometimes uses a fork.

The other cavemen in New York find Mr. Averbukh’s preference for raw beef a little strange.

“I draw the line at sushi,” Andrew Sanocki said. “Paleo man had fire, didn’t he?”

I guess there is a trad in every bunch. Judging from the fork I'd say that he reads TIA. :laughing:

Sounds more like Fundamentalist.
I wonder if they simulate the injuries from hunting big game by hand?

Oh well. I too live as a "caveman", which involves eating natural foods which are the easiest to obtain. They live in a famine stricken wasteland; I live in the jungle of plenty.
(01-12-2010, 06:30 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I wonder if they simulate the injuries from hunting big game by hand?

Oh well. I too live as a "caveman", which involves eating natural foods which are the easiest to obtain. They live in a famine stricken wasteland; I live in the jungle of plenty.

There's some people around NZ who still hunt with spears. My wife's brother wants to start doing it, actually. Stalking would be... problematic, I would imagine.
These guys are a scream!  :laughing: 

Quote:Mr. Le Corre, 38, who once made soap for a living, promotes what he calls “mouvement naturel” at exercise retreats in West Virginia and elsewhere. His workouts include scooting around the underbrush on all fours, leaping between boulders, playing catch with stones, and other activities at which he believes early man excelled. These are the “primal, essential skills that I believe everyone should have,” he said in an interview.

Gentlemen: do any of you have these essential skills?
(01-12-2010, 09:42 AM)Magnificat Wrote: These guys are a scream!  :laughing: 

Quote:Mr. Le Corre, 38, who once made soap for a living, promotes what he calls “mouvement naturel” at exercise retreats in West Virginia and elsewhere. His workouts include scooting around the underbrush on all fours, leaping between boulders, playing catch with stones, and other activities at which he believes early man excelled. These are the “primal, essential skills that I believe everyone should have,” he said in an interview.

Gentlemen: do any of you have these essential skills?

You are asking online?

I can type over 80 words a minute, and I can read several scripts.
I suppose that reading several scripts is the online version of leaping between boulders.  :clap:
(01-12-2010, 12:30 PM)Magnificat Wrote: I suppose that reading several scripts is the online version of leaping between boulders.   :clap:

It is very good for people to do I think.

When random characters become meaningful, I think the mind is expanded.