Urban cavemen?!
(01-12-2010, 09:34 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-12-2010, 09:42 AM)Magnificat Wrote: These guys are a scream!  :laughing: 

Quote:Mr. Le Corre, 38, who once made soap for a living, promotes what he calls “mouvement naturel” at exercise retreats in West Virginia and elsewhere. His workouts include scooting around the underbrush on all fours, leaping between boulders, playing catch with stones, and other activities at which he believes early man excelled. These are the “primal, essential skills that I believe everyone should have,” he said in an interview.

Gentlemen: do any of you have these essential skills?

Ahem.

What's it to you?

Why won't you ante up with the info, huh?  Did they make you take some weird Iron John Eagle Scout He Man Woman Haters Club Oath out there in the woods?  Does this mean there's no video?
(01-12-2010, 11:53 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:
(01-12-2010, 09:42 AM)Magnificat Wrote: These guys are a scream!  :laughing: 

Quote:Mr. Le Corre, 38, who once made soap for a living, promotes what he calls “mouvement naturel” at exercise retreats in West Virginia and elsewhere. His workouts include scooting around the underbrush on all fours, leaping between boulders, playing catch with stones, and other activities at which he believes early man excelled. These are the “primal, essential skills that I believe everyone should have,” he said in an interview.

Gentlemen: do any of you have these essential skills?
Yes, I do. 

I attribute it to my years in the Boy Scouts. On most campouts we played a violent game called "spotlight" which was a form of tag, more or less. It was a proprietary game with my troop, I think. It usually involved a lot of crawling through brush and climbing trees. If there was a creek or river nearby, we'd do a lot of leaping from rock to rock. We weren't much at playing catch with rocks, but there was a lot of rock throwing going on. Occasionally there was a lot of boulder hurling, too. Not to mention clubbing each other with fallen tree branches.

In hindsight, it's a miracle that only one guy got hurt bad enough to do anything about it. Paul Morales slipped while leaping from boulder to boulder during a game of spotlight, caught his leg on a manzanita branch, and peeled his leg open right along his shinbone. Very little blood, but they still gave him 20-something stitches.

And you know what? We weren't forbidden from playing that game anymore! Back in the good old days, boys were allowed to be boys.   

At Girl Scout camp they let us hang a Tarzan rope from a tree limb over the creek. They also used to let us swamp our canoes and sing that song about Mrs. O'Leary's cow under the canoe before righting it.  The echo was cool.  Not the same level of adrenaline, is it?    The only bloodshed there was the result of the mosquito bites. 
The first rule about the John Eagle Scout He Man Woman Haters Club Oath is that you don't talk about the John Eagle Scout He Man Woman Haters Club Oath.  The second rule about the John Eagle Scout He Man Woman Haters Club Oath is that you do not talk about the John Eagle Scout He Man Woman Haters Club Oath.

It is unlikely that there are videos.  When I went through the JESHMWHCO, video cameras were about the size of a small carry-on luggage bag and had a large red blinking red light on the front.  It is not conducive to JESHMWHCO time.
Figures.  A woman would never join a club that she couldn't talk about, because half of the point of being in a club is the talking.  ;D
(01-12-2010, 11:53 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: I attribute it to my years in the Boy Scouts. On most campouts we played a violent game called "spotlight" which was a form of tag, more or less. It was a proprietary game with my troop, I think. It usually involved a lot of crawling through brush and climbing trees. If there was a creek or river nearby, we'd do a lot of leaping from rock to rock. We weren't much at playing catch with rocks, but there was a lot of rock throwing going on. Occasionally there was a lot of boulder hurling, too. Not to mention clubbing each other with fallen tree branches.
WE had violent games too. Smear the Queer, Ultimate Capture the Flag (this led to injuries) and other pointless endeavors to do something dangerous.

Quote:And you know what? We weren't forbidden from playing that game anymore! Back in the good old days, boys were allowed to be boys.   

Back in my day, boys could be boys as long as we didn't attract attention for it. The use of maglights was eventually forbidden in Smear the Queer, but not much was restricted that we did.
Oh man.  Things were so different even when I was a boy.  We'd play tackle football out on the blacktop and I remember someone would break a major bone at least once a year.  I'm not sure if it was that or the fact that we hit the nun's cap off a few times with a Haily Mary that finally made them decide to reach into their extremely shallow Catholic school pockets and buy us those stupid flags.  After that we'd be careful to tie on our flags really nicely in front of some teacher and then we'd just wail on each other again anyway.

If you had a disagreement you dealt with it like a man... by punching.  I remember getting baby teeth knocked out in fights and getting sent into the principal's office with whoever I was fighting all bloody.  By that time you usually made up and laughed together about made farting noises when the principal left her office.  Those were the days...
(01-12-2010, 04:03 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashio...veman.html

Evolution turns people into morons.
(01-14-2010, 01:47 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-12-2010, 04:03 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashio...veman.html

Evolution turns people into morons.

QED
(01-13-2010, 01:19 PM)Walty Wrote: If you had a disagreement you dealt with it like a man... by punching.  I remember getting baby teeth knocked out in fights and getting sent into the principal's office with whoever I was fighting all bloody.  By that time you usually made up and laughed together about made farting noises when the principal left her office.  Those were the days...

Okie dey, I don't get this one at all. How is punching the shiznit out of each other to the point of knocking out teeth "manly"? My son is in kindergarten and his teacher finally had to tell him and his classmates that the physical stuff was going to mean a one-way ticket to Father's office. Some wrestling and stuff is to be expected of course, but punching and injuring just seems animalistic, not "manly". :shrug:
Fist fights are part of growing up, and teaches a valuable skill.  Seriously, I think every man should at least know what it feels like to get punched in the face.  The biggest fear is fear of the unknown and fear of pain, so its good to get one out of the way so you know its not so bad. 

It was a lot better when i was in school where we could just duke it out on the playground.  No permenant injuries and we werent trying to seriously injure each other.   Now its all stabbings and shootings, or beating kids to death with 2x4's.