Urban cavemen?!
(01-14-2010, 04:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: Fist fights are part of growing up, and teaches a valuable skill. 

Such as? :shrug:  Injuring other people? That assault and battery is alright? I'm honestly having a hard time resolving this train of thought with a Catholic one.

(01-14-2010, 04:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: Seriously, I think every man should at least know what it feels like to get punched in the face.  The biggest fear is fear of the unknown and fear of pain, so its good to get one out of the way so you know its not so bad. 

Well, then maybe I should go get a kitchen knife, slice my arm, and see what 'cutters' are raving about.
Seriously, God gives us a natural fear of things for a reason. It's an instinct to preserve us and keep us safe.
(01-14-2010, 04:40 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: Fist fights are part of growing up, and teaches a valuable skill. 

Such as? :shrug:  Injuring other people? That assault and battery is alright? I'm honestly having a hard time resolving this train of thought with a Catholic one.

It is a non Catholic macho attitude, where piety comes second, and big balls and quickness to violence is the measure of a man.
The ability to defend oneself is a valuable skill.  I dont advocate going around beating people up for no reason.  I do advocate knowing how to throw and take a punch.  Can we really not imagine any situation where you may have the need to defend yourself or other loved ones from physical harm?  Why is learning to fire a gun ok, but if I guy actually knows how to fight with his hands, all he cares about is "big ball and quickness to violence"

Herr Mannelig, you seem to always know what I'm thinking dont you?  Maybe you should come into the confessional with me and help me, since you seem to know my motivations so well.
Hotrod has a point. There is a real weird phobia about rough-and-tumble that used to be part of growing up. Now kids don't learn the grey areas and how to navigate them and set realistic limits to genuine violence.

My mother used to say "A little pain never hurt anyone!" and I think it is in fact an important part of traditional Catholic culture that we retain our willingness to experience pain fearlessly, and learn to limit the amount we inflict.

Such learning is not always from books.
(01-14-2010, 05:09 PM)HotRod Wrote: The ability to defend oneself is a valuable skill.  I dont advocate going around beating people up for no reason.  I do advocate knowing how to throw and take a punch.  Can we really not imagine any situation where you may have the need to defend yourself or other loved ones from physical harm?  Why is learning to fire a gun ok, but if I guy actually knows how to fight with his hands, all he cares about is "big ball and quickness to violence"
Because firing a gun, controlled martial arts training and other training methods do not involve malice or injury by design. Fist fights are not a part of growing up unless it is in self defense.

Quote:Herr Mannelig, you seem to always know what I'm thinking dont you?  Maybe you should come into the confessional with me and help me, since you seem to know my motivations so well.
I was responding to Mommie2Boys. I know what you are thinking though...you are thinking that I do not know what you are thinking.
I'm thinking, that if my son were to get sent home from school for fist fighting, I would not be overly concerned with it.  It is NORMAL.  If he was a bully and starting fights, then I'd do something about it. 

If the worst problem we had with young men was fist fighting,  I think we would be doing ok.

(01-14-2010, 05:26 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I was responding to Mommie2Boys. I know what you are thinking though...you are thinking that I do not know what you are thinking.
and yesterday, when I said I wouldn't have dated a vegetarian, you knew what my motivations for that was didnt you?
(01-14-2010, 05:09 PM)HotRod Wrote: Herr Mannelig, you seem to always know what I'm thinking dont you?  Maybe you should come into the confessional with me and help me, since you seem to know my motivations so well.

I'm willing to help.
(01-14-2010, 05:34 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I'm willing to help.

Good.  I'm sure I need it.  It may get crowded in the confessional though, I dont do the whole face to face sitting in chairs thing.
(01-14-2010, 05:33 PM)HotRod Wrote: and yesterday, when I said I wouldn't have dated a vegetarian, you knew what my motivations for that was didnt you?

You had posted:

Quote:edit: and no, I would not have dated a vegetarian.  Seems like there would be a major disconnect in our thought processes.

I responded:
Quote:Seems? Yes, you are not able to comprehend that others may make other choices, whereas vegans and vegetarians usually are perfectly alright with it.

You posted this:
Quote:Herr Mannelig, you seem to always know what I'm thinking dont you?
That is not sufficient information to say "seem to always know". One assumption does not make a psychic.