Urban cavemen?!
(01-14-2010, 04:41 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:40 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: Fist fights are part of growing up, and teaches a valuable skill. 

Such as? :shrug:  Injuring other people? That assault and battery is alright? I'm honestly having a hard time resolving this train of thought with a Catholic one.

It is a non Catholic macho attitude, where piety comes second, and big balls and quickness to violence is the measure of a man.

This isnt directed toward me?  I may be a caveman, but I'm not dumb.
(01-14-2010, 05:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: I'm thinking, that if my son were to get sent home from school for fist fighting, I would not be overly concerned with it.  It is NORMAL.   If he was a bully and starting fights, then I'd do something about it. 

If the worst problem we had with young men was fist fighting,  I think we would be doing ok.

It it were a mutual fight, but my experience in the public school system it is very one sided.

All sorts of bad things are "normal". It does not make them right. If my son, if I had a son, came home for fighting (technically, I'd probably be called to the school, but ignoring that), I'd first determine why he was fighting. If it was not justified self defense, I'd tell him I was very disappointed in him for giving in to such bestial urges and lecture him on free will, the dignity of man and God's expectations of humanity.
(01-14-2010, 05:38 PM)HotRod Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 05:34 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I'm willing to help.

Good.  I'm sure I need it.  It may get crowded in the confessional though, I dont do the whole face to face sitting in chairs thing.

That's fine.  I'll just shout through the door.
(01-14-2010, 05:41 PM)HotRod Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:41 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:40 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 04:31 PM)HotRod Wrote: Fist fights are part of growing up, and teaches a valuable skill. 

Such as? :shrug:  Injuring other people? That assault and battery is alright? I'm honestly having a hard time resolving this train of thought with a Catholic one.

It is a non Catholic macho attitude, where piety comes second, and big balls and quickness to violence is the measure of a man.

This isnt directed toward me?  I may be a caveman, but I'm not dumb.

I was describing what she had described in response to your post; if she did not accurately describe your meaning, then my post does not apply to yours, however, I have seen such attitudes before and was considering them in my response.
(01-14-2010, 05:41 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: It it were a mutual fight, but my experience in the public school system it is very one sided.
Well, a good Catholic's son shouldn't be in public school anyway, and my kids wont be fist fighting at home school meeting with other kids, so its beside the point. 

When I was a kid we couldnt afford martial arts school, and I went to a tough inner city public school.  I got into maybe 5 fights during HS.  I've been in 3 or 4 since, all in the performance of my duties. 

When I was a youn 19 year old airman stationed in Panama, I was attacked by a local Panamanian thug while I was on patrol on the base perimeter.  The Military (Air Force) had tought me just a little more than nothing about hand to hand combat.  It was the scrapping that I learned in High School that helped me.  He tackled me at the waist and tried to grab my pistol from the holster.  I kept my feet (Football and Hockey training) and kneed him in the face, stood him up and hit him in the nose with the palm of my hand.  He fell down, got up and ran away.  I let him go because I was totally freaking out and too stunned to chase him, and it would have been stupid of me to do anyway.

So there, fighting, a valuable life skill.  And now I've used up one of my best military stories. 
(01-14-2010, 05:55 PM)HotRod Wrote: Well, a good Catholic's

No such thing.

Quote:son shouldn't be in public school anyway,

With all due respect, not everyone can homeschool.  Trad schools are few and far between, and given my experience in Catholic school (nevermind that I teach at one now), I'd be hesitant at enrolling theoretical junior at John Paul the Great Elementary.
You see? Football and hockey, perfectly fine physical controlled sports.

I'm glad you are alright.

About being in public school, like you couldn't afford martial arts, most cannot afford private school.
I can't afford private school now.  But I can afford books, and me and my wife, (ok, mostly her) teach at home.

But you are right, I should not presume to judge anyone who sends their children to public school.  Though I'm sure most would agree it is not the preferred arrangement for their education.
(01-14-2010, 06:06 PM)HotRod Wrote: I can't afford private school now.  But I can afford books, and me and my wife, (ok, mostly her) teach at home.

But you are right, I should not presume to judge anyone who sends their children to public school.  Though I'm sure most would agree it is not the preferred arrangement for their education.

Public schools dull the mind and invite corruption. They are the worst thing for someone wanting to learn.
(01-14-2010, 06:11 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 06:06 PM)HotRod Wrote: I can't afford private school now.  But I can afford books, and me and my wife, (ok, mostly her) teach at home.

Public schools dull the mind and invite corruption. They are the worst thing for someone wanting to learn.

"Classes will dull your mind, destroy the potential for authentic creativity." --John Nash (at least, it's a quote of his in the movie.  I can't find that he actually said it in real life)