Urban cavemen?!
I was saddened when a priest told me I could no longer compete in Muay Thai due to the strategies and mindset involved in the sport.

Fist fights, especially for boys, are an essential part of growing up. Provided, of courses, that they happen for the right reasons, or at least what the boys involved perceive to be the right reasons.
In NZ we have a lot of trouble lately with youth stabbings, assaults with motor vehicles (yes that's right???) and all kinds of serous assaults with weapons.
In my experience, people tend to arm themselves, paqrtiocularly with knives and melee weapons, when they are not conifdent with their fists, or are worried about copping a couple back &c.
Sometimes it is neccessary for a man to fight. Provided that his cause is just, and provided that he carries out the task in a just manner (ie. fight like a man, with your fists not knives and bats) then the neccessary fighting will usually result in only minimal injuries, as opposed to death.
What part Muay Thai is problematic?  Is there some spiritualism involved?  It is my favorite martial art.  (not that I have ever trained in it, but it looks the coolest)
(01-14-2010, 07:00 PM)HotRod Wrote: What part Muay Thai is problematic?  Is there some spiritualism involved?  It is my favorite martial art.  (not that I have ever trained in it, but it looks the coolest)

No spiritualism where i trained, although many do. Nah he said the problem was the fighting itself; typically you would utilise startegies such as trying to cut the brow, or bust the floating rib, or hammer away at the thigh to give a dead leg.
Less sportsman-like than good ol' Catholic boxing, I guess. And relatively brutal lol. Good fun though...
(01-14-2010, 07:09 PM)Arun Wrote: .
Less sportsman-like than good ol' Catholic boxing, I guess. And relatively brutal lol. Good fun though...

[Image: ong_bak_large.jpg]
That was an awesome film. Although I preferred Tom Yum Goong (sp?).
not familiar with that.  Got a link?
(01-14-2010, 07:18 PM)HotRod Wrote: not familiar with that.  Got a link?

Nah I've got a DVD lol. I think it was re-released in English as "The Protector". It's the one where his elephants gets kidnapped and taken to Oz.
I think the same way one's instinct tells you to be afraid of being punched in the face, your instinct will also kick in when you need to defend yourself.  There's a huge difference between fighting in self-defense and fighting like bears just because you're P.O.ed at one another. One is acceptable, the other is not.
(01-14-2010, 07:55 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: I think the same way one's instinct tells you to be afraid of being punched in the face, your instinct will also kick in when you need to defend yourself.  There's a huge difference between fighting in self-defense and fighting like bears just because you're P.O.ed at one another. One is acceptable, the other is not.

Ugh.
(01-14-2010, 07:55 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: I think the same way one's instinct tells you to be afraid of being punched in the face, your instinct will also kick in when you need to defend yourself.  There's a huge difference between fighting in self-defense and fighting like bears just because you're P.O.ed at one another. One is acceptable, the other is not.

sometimes you also need to fight to stand up for what is good and just. And, there is such a thing as just anger. and, instinct often will not kick in; plus instinct doesn't offer the added ebnefit of conditioning which comes only through scrapping.