Urban cavemen?!
In my experience, people do not "rise to the occasion" They fall back on their training.  Also the way people instinctively fight does not normally cause long term harm. 

I also do not mean to say that school yard brawling constitutes real training.  It is best to be avoided.  But boys will be boys, and I dont think its prudent to over react to adolescent violence, it doesnt mean little Timmy is going to be a mass murderer, or going around punching people to solve problems for the rest of his life.
(01-14-2010, 07:55 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: I think the same way one's instinct tells you to be afraid of being punched in the face, your instinct will also kick in when you need to defend yourself.  There's a huge difference between fighting in self-defense and fighting like bears just because you're P.O.ed at one another. One is acceptable, the other is not.

Many people freeze, shocked that this could be happening to them, and don't react.  some react, but do the wrong thing.
As HotRod pointed out, people rarely rise to the occasion, unless they train constantly, in preparation for being in harm's way.  Even then, a lot depends on the persons attitude.

(01-14-2010, 11:16 PM)Texican Wrote:
(01-14-2010, 07:55 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote: I think the same way one's instinct tells you to be afraid of being punched in the face, your instinct will also kick in when you need to defend yourself.  There's a huge difference between fighting in self-defense and fighting like bears just because you're P.O.ed at one another. One is acceptable, the other is not.

Many people freeze, shocked that this could be happening to them, and don't react.  some react, but do the wrong thing.
As HotRod pointed out, people rarely rise to the occasion, unless they train constantly, in preparation for being in harm's way.  Even then, a lot depends on the persons attitude.

You don't have to train constantly. The cliche situation where a kid gets beat up and then his big brother or someone teaches him how to react is actually a very accurate depiction of how most people learn a few basic defensive moves at a time of crisis, and that lesson remains ingrained. The ones who freeze are people who never learned any appropriate respons to violence because they were taught violence can't happen in "their" world.

I myself learned a little self-defense in the course of a half-dozen lessons and I am lazy and did not practice, but almost twenty years later when I was jumped, my body reacted before I even had time to freeze. It remembered the moves, but I didn't even remember that I knew them.. That is because the physical memories are stored in a different part of the brain from the visual or verbal, and if you have placed information there, the verbal can freeze while the brain uses the physical memory to react.

Personally, I believe all young children should be enrolled ino one year of basic matial larts and they will be ok for life.  They won't be giving unconscious victim signals to predators, either.
In the days of my youth, a bit of rough and tumble was considered developmental. And I'm not talking about some kind of Greco-Roman man-love stuff either lol.
The external signs of boyhood are the odd black eye, the occasional fat lip, and perpetually grazed knees!
I'm a woman, and the self-defense lessons came in my adulthood when my husband traded some artwork for lessons and the two of us went.

The jumping incident was quite funny, actually. Almost twenty years later, i was living in a neighborhood that began to experience gang wars and we had a neighborhood watch set up and some police and prison guards gave a few self-defense workshops in their spare time.

I went and learned a basic blocking technique for a forward-lunging attacker. I was supposed to block his lunge and step out of his way, but when the instructor ( a very large man who towered over me ) lunged at me, I completely forgot what I was supposed to do and the old training kicked in: I grabbed his arm instead of blocked it, spun aside and let his own momentum carry him over his own arm and onto his back about eight feet away.

I didn't even remember learning that!  :laughing:
(01-15-2010, 12:34 AM)littlerose Wrote: You don't have to train constantly. The cliche situation where a kid gets beat up and then his big brother or someone teaches him how to react is actually a very accurate depiction of how most people learn a few basic defensive moves at a time of crisis, and that lesson remains ingrained. The ones who freeze are people who never learned any appropriate respons to violence because they were taught violence can't happen in "their" world.

I myself learned a little self-defense in the course of a half-dozen lessons and I am lazy and did not practice, but almost twenty years later when I was jumped, my body reacted before I even had time to freeze. It remembered the moves, but I didn't even remember that I knew them.. That is because the physical memories are stored in a different part of the brain from the visual or verbal, and if you have placed information there, the verbal can freeze while the brain uses the physical memory to react.

Personally, I believe all young children should be enrolled ino one year of basic matial larts and they will be ok for life.  They won't be giving unconscious victim signals to predators, either.

That would be the "falling back on your training," that HotRod mentioned. 

But, you're right - rising to the occasion has nothing to do with training.  As a matter of fact, I was wrong when I typed that, as it is just the opposite - you rise to the occasion, in spite of your lack of training, and not the other way around.

I need to get my head on straight...
(01-15-2010, 12:04 PM)Texican Wrote: I need to get my head on straight...

Texican: [Image: northern_spotted_owl1.jpg]
(01-15-2010, 12:26 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-15-2010, 12:04 PM)Texican Wrote: I need to get my head on straight...

Texican: [Image: northern_spotted_owl1.jpg]

More like this, actually:

[Image: humour-owl-funny.jpg]