Israel rabbi asks pope to halt Pius' beatification
I'd like to hear B16 reply, "Oh?  Well, sorry to disappoint..."
The Pope and those promoting the cause assuredly have access to the archives, just the public doesn't.    There is no reason to delay until the archives are open except to wait for the Kosher mark, which I doubt would ever come even if it were proven he did more than known.  This is just victimization rhetoric; a political passive-aggressiveness.
(01-13-2010, 12:44 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The Pope and those promoting the cause assuredly have access to the archives, just the public doesn't.    There is no reason to delay until the archives are open except to wait for the Kosher mark, which I doubt would ever come even if it were proven he did more than known.  This is just victimization rhetoric; a political passive-aggressiveness.

Scholars have access too.

So they aren't secret, just not ready to be full accessed by everyone. Given the amount of data they probably have, they are acting perfectly in their preparations.
(01-13-2010, 12:44 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The Pope and those promoting the cause assuredly have access to the archives, just the public doesn't.    There is no reason to delay until the archives are open except to wait for the Kosher mark, which I doubt would ever come even if it were proven he did more than known.  This is just victimization rhetoric; a political passive-aggressiveness.

What I find ironic about all of this is, that even though the Devil's Advocate was abolished by Pope JPII (it may have been brought back by Pope Benedict XVI, someone may want to correct me one way or the other) we still have non Catholics putting their two cents in vis-a-vis why Pope Pius XII shouldn't be Canonized. You think they'd allow non Catholics to put their two cents in on why Pope JP II shouldn't be Beatified or Canonized? Don't hold your breath.

I know they allowed the atheist Christopher Hitchens to speak against the Cause for Mother Teresa, but to my knowledge they haven't done likewise in JP II's case.
(01-12-2010, 09:13 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Maybe they should be asked why the Pope had any responsibility to Jews when his own people were suffering, his own home under attack and his own life threatened.

Why should the Pope not do more to help the Palestinian Christians, Chinese Catholics and Irani Christians?

Exactly.

(01-13-2010, 02:08 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: I know they allowed the atheist Christopher Hitchens to speak against the Cause for Mother Teresa, but to my knowledge they haven't done likewise in JP II's case.

I would guess the speeches would go on for years...
(01-13-2010, 02:08 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote:

What I find ironic about all of this is, that even though the Devil's Advocate was abolished by Pope JPII (it may have been brought back by Pope Benedict XVI, someone may want to correct me one way or the other) we still have non Catholics putting their two cents in vis-a-vis why Pope Pius XII shouldn't be Canonized. You think they'd allow non Catholics to put their two cents in on why Pope JP II shouldn't be Beatified or Canonized? Don't hold your breath.

I know they allowed the atheist Christopher Hitchens to speak against the Cause for Mother Teresa, but to my knowledge they haven't done likewise in JP II's case.

"they allowed the atheist Christopher Hitchens to speak against the Cause for Mother Teresa" 

WHAT???  was this official?

The Vatican should never have given the rabbis the idea that they have a vote in matters like this. Not that the rabbis would hesitate to publicly air their opinions, but . . .