Female, 21
I would not reject a vegetarian meal, but if thats all I was being served, well I'd hate to resort to going out and getting my steaks elsewhere.

edit: and no, I would not have dated a vegetarian.  Seems like there would be a major disconnect in our thought processes.
(01-13-2010, 12:55 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Perhaps if the man were a hunter, there would be an issue, but otherwise, any man not willing to eat his wife's food deserves to starve or make it himself.

If one spouse is at work all day and the other is not, it's not very convenient for the working spouse to cook his own dinners if the entire family is going to eat together.  It's just a practical matter.

Quote:A proper vegetarian meal is very good and anyone who rejects it has mental problems.

Perhaps, but EVERY meal EVERY day for the rest of your life might give one pause.
(01-13-2010, 12:08 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
Quote:I hate Freud and therefore have no idea what you are talking about.
Freud is more than psychosexual development, and you don't want to know what he is talking about. :)

Now I'm even more interested.
(01-13-2010, 12:59 PM)cgraye Wrote: Perhaps, but EVERY meal EVERY day for the rest of your life might give one pause.

Well, a little bit of animal based food is ok, but for EVERY meal EVERY day for the rest of my life might give me pause.

Quote:edit: and no, I would not have dated a vegetarian.  Seems like there would be a major disconnect in our thought processes.
Seems? Yes, you are not able to comprehend that others may make other choices, whereas vegans and vegetarians usually are perfectly alright with it.

Here is my blog post on being a vegan: http://nonpeccabis.blogspot.com/2009/06/...-kind.html
(01-13-2010, 12:53 PM)cgraye Wrote:
(01-13-2010, 12:37 PM)HCF Wrote: You wouldn't date a vegetarian? You may just be kidding around, but from my experience, there really AREN'T a lot of "fish in the see" (no pun intended, re: name of this website) and that's a bit picky.

I doubt your own personal choice of what to eat matters to anyone.  Your reasoning for being a vegetarian might, though.  Maybe you could elaborate on that?  Or he may be thinking ahead to a possible marriage.  Would you be able/willing to cook non-vegetarian food for the family?  Sometimes these small details cause major problems later :laughing:

As previously mentioned, I've been a vegetarian for almost eight years. It has become such a lifestyle to me I would almost consider it a habit - or maybe just me being on "automatic pilot" mode. It's a personal decision, a private choice. In other words, you won't see me publicly protesting outside a slaughter house, but if anyone has questions I'm glad to answer them. Would I cook non-vegetarian food for the family? Yes, I can envision myself preparing chicken cutlets, but I'm not about to buy a frozen chicken or turkey and cut into something that resembles the animal. Furthermore, I am not going to be the sole cook. I'm not interested in marrying a man who expects me to be the domesticated housewife. No thanks.
(01-13-2010, 02:06 PM)HCF Wrote: As previously mentioned, I've been a vegetarian for almost eight years. It has become such a lifestyle to me I would almost consider it a habit - or maybe just me being on "automatic pilot" mode. It's a personal decision, a private choice. In other words, you won't see me publicly protesting outside a slaughter house, but if anyone has questions I'm glad to answer them. Would I cook non-vegetarian food for the family? Yes, I can envision myself preparing chicken cutlets, but I'm not about to buy a frozen chicken or turkey and cut into something that resembles the animal. Furthermore, I am not going to be the sole cook. I'm not interested in marrying a man who expects me to be the domesticated housewife. No thanks.

Would you be willing to make a sandwich for a future husband if he were to want one?
(01-13-2010, 02:15 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(01-13-2010, 02:06 PM)HCF Wrote: As previously mentioned, I've been a vegetarian for almost eight years. It has become such a lifestyle to me I would almost consider it a habit - or maybe just me being on "automatic pilot" mode. It's a personal decision, a private choice. In other words, you won't see me publicly protesting outside a slaughter house, but if anyone has questions I'm glad to answer them. Would I cook non-vegetarian food for the family? Yes, I can envision myself preparing chicken cutlets, but I'm not about to buy a frozen chicken or turkey and cut into something that resembles the animal. Furthermore, I am not going to be the sole cook. I'm not interested in marrying a man who expects me to be the domesticated housewife. No thanks.

Would you be willing to make a sandwich for a future husband if he were to want one?

If he was doing something constructive and didn't have time to prepare lunch, yes. Even if he didn't ask I would make something for him. If he's being lazy on the couch watching television and yells at me to do so, he'll be getting an empty plate. Literally, I would wait five minutes and then give him an empty plate.
(01-13-2010, 02:18 PM)HCF Wrote:

If he was doing something constructive and didn't have time to prepare lunch, yes. Even if he didn't ask I would make something for him. If he's being lazy on the couch watching television and yells at me to do so, he'll be getting an empty plate. Literally, I would wait five minutes and then give him an empty plate.

What if he is the sort of guy who brings you home flowers or randomly helps with cleaning the house, laundry etc.?  What if he works full-time and is very appreciative of your cooking for him when he gets home?  Would you cook for him then, even if he happens to be sitting on the couch during the cooking process?
I seem to recall posting somewhere, something to the effect that American women are feisty.

:laughing:    

Welcome to the Fishbowl!  
(01-13-2010, 02:20 PM)Walty Wrote:
(01-13-2010, 02:18 PM)HCF Wrote:

What if he is the sort of guy who brings you home flowers or randomly helps with cleaning the house, laundry etc.?  What if he works full-time and is very appreciative of your cooking for him when he gets home?  Would you cook for him then, even if he happens to be sitting on the couch during the cooking process?

If I also have a career, we will both be doing chores - there will be no "random" helping from either party. If I decided to stay home instead of work, then yes it would be practical for me to prepare the family meals.