Weakland 'did [his] best'
http://wcco.com/wireapnewswi/Archbishop....21552.html

Quote:Former Milwaukee Bishop: I Did My Best
MADISON, Wis. (AP) ― Former Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert Weakland says he handled sex abuse cases as best he could.

Weakland sent an e-mail to The Associated Press responding to state Sen. Glenn Grothman's remarks at a hearing Tuesday. The West Bend Republican called Weakland a "piece of work" and church officials "screwballs" for allowing Weakland to attend new Archbishop Jerome Listecki's installation Mass last week.

In his e-mail Weakland apologizes for any sexual abuse. He says he did his best with the cases with the knowledge and experience he had. He says God will be his judge.

Weakland resigned as archbishop in 2002 after admitting the archdiocese secretly paid $450,000 to a man who accused him of sexual abuse. The archdiocese has said it has paid out $28 million to settle charges related to clergy sexual abuse through June.

Who is this Grossman dude, sounds cool (at first glance)
(01-13-2010, 11:36 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: http://wcco.com/wireapnewswi/Archbishop....21552.html

Quote:Former Milwaukee Bishop: I Did My Best
MADISON, Wis. (AP) ― Former Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert Weakland says he handled sex abuse cases as best he could.

Weakland sent an e-mail to The Associated Press responding to state Sen. Glenn Grothman's remarks at a hearing Tuesday. The West Bend Republican called Weakland a "piece of work" and church officials "screwballs" for allowing Weakland to attend new Archbishop Jerome Listecki's installation Mass last week.

In his e-mail Weakland apologizes for any sexual abuse. He says he did his best with the cases with the knowledge and experience he had. He says God will be his judge.

Weakland resigned as archbishop in 2002 after admitting the archdiocese secretly paid $450,000 to a man who accused him of sexual abuse. The archdiocese has said it has paid out $28 million to settle charges related to clergy sexual abuse through June.

Who is this Grossman dude, sounds cool (at first glance)

The weird thing is that I doubt that Weakland's ex-lover had a legitimate claim to sexual abuse.  He was a grown adult who simply blackmailed Weakland.  I've read some of Weakland's published letters from that time -- pathetic stuff, but he seems to me actually to be grappling with his monastic and priestly vow of celibacy.  He explicitly says so in the letters, anyway.  Maybe, maybe, Weakland might have gone the direction of repentance that Oscar Wilde went after his imprisonment when he wrote "De Profundis."   I hope that he one day will complete that journey. 
[Image: 30066-300-430.jpg]

we should pray for all sinners, including weakland and others whose actions disgust us, that they may repent before death. 

i don't see him being sufficiently repentant yet -- 'i did my best' is a cop-out -- but we're all sinners.  he's sinned on a larger scale than most of us, i would guess, but it's still a dangerous temptation to think 'well, i'm not as bad as he is.'  satan wants us thinking that way, thinking that we don't need to repent and atone.
(01-14-2010, 06:14 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: i don't see him being sufficiently repentant yet -- 'i did my best' is a cop-out -- but we're all sinners.  he's sinned on a larger scale than most of us, i would guess, but it's still a dangerous temptation to think 'well, i'm not as bad as he is.' 

We're not as bad as he is.   We didn't lead an entire diocese into heresy and apostasy, he did.  And when people lose their Faith, so will their children.  He's done damage several generations down the road.

Now I'm waiting for the obligatory post by glgas saying we shouldn't judge.  ::)
"God will be my judge", damn right.
ugg, its Bishops and high ups like this who make protestants laugh at us, with good reason :pray2:
I found a prayer card at our adoration chapel with a prayer by him on it.  I tore it up.
I'm so sick of Weakland.  He's a lot more than a "piece of work."  He's like every single thing that is wrong with the Church and the world wrapped into one.

Piss off Weakland.
I was walking through downtown Milwaukee and saw a man on the terrace of the cathedral rectory/office building who I thought might be Weakland.  Several people on the sidewalk were chatting with him.  I should have looked up, asked if he was Weakland, and told him what a disgrace he was. 
(01-14-2010, 03:53 PM)Bonifacius Wrote: I was walking through downtown Milwaukee and saw a man on the terrace of the cathedral rectory/office building who I thought might be Weakland.  Several people on the sidewalk were chatting with him.  I should have looked up, asked if he was Weakland, and told him what a disgrace he was. 

Your Grace, you're a disgrace.

Hey! it rhymes.