How the Average Pewsitter Views the SSPX
Be lucky those of you who are able to attend a Traditional Latin Mass; I currently only have the New order Mass.  However, I have found a reverent Divine Liturgy where I've been attending when I have the Chance.
(01-15-2010, 05:57 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(01-15-2010, 01:26 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: She herself is fairly conservative, probably fairly pious, goes to communion on Sundays, every Sunday, and regularly goes to confession. In short, she's the kind of person we tend to respect and look up to as an example, even if she "participates" at the Novus Ordo and doesn't wear a veil. She's one of us, right?

She's not in any way "one of us," however you care to define "us." I would never look up to someone like this as an example. What exactly is her problem with the woman sitting at the back of the church? Is there some part of canon law that says it's a sin to sit at the back of the church at your own mother's funeral? Maybe she sat back there because it was less painful for her. Or maybe she wasn't even a traditional Catholic...maybe she sat at the back because she didn't approve of what was going on, kind of like this girl. Basically, she's fabricating an objection out of nowhere, which is typical of NO lovers who want to have whatever mushy feeling they get from "participating."

Lately I had the misfortune to attend an NO "mass" because of a Baptism. I won't go into detail because I know it's old news to a lot of people (can I just mention the stuffed moon on a stick?) but one question screamed at me the entire time I was there: "Who could possibly put up with this nonsense?" If I had never been to any kind of religious ceremony before, and had no idea what to expect, I still would have thought everyone there was an idiot for wasting time on Sunday on some silly, nauseating pageant. A protestant ceremony would have more dignity and substance. I'm not trying to offend anyone here who attends the NO, but this girl is clearly deluding herself if she believes that traditional Catholics are the ones with the problem. I have no sympathy for people who lie to themselves aPoind use random, meaningless occurrences to justify their own false positions.

Sorry for the rant but people like this tick me off.  >:(

Pooint being, she's Catholic, hates praise and worship music, wants to receive communio on the toungue and for some reason "hates" the SSPX.  She's not particularly good at saying why she doesn't like them, but she seems Catholic to me otherwise, despite being a bit uncharitable, she might have a good reason for her gripe, she might not.  Who knos.
She seems like a hypocrite to me. I'm not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt when she slanders good Catholics based on theological principles she obviously doesn't understand. She doesn't even attempt to defend her own position.
(01-15-2010, 01:31 PM)cgraye Wrote: The average pewsitter has never heard of the SSPX, doesn't even know the TLM is still said or even what it is, and does not care about any of these issues, frankly.

You're describing my parish.
Those that have heard of it have very strong opinions.  I have a good friend that told me today that she is now uncomfortable coming into my house b/c she saw my welcome to tradition kit from the SSPX.  She believes that there is more rebellion in the SSPX than in the Anglicans & that they are deliberately against the Church and that many souls have been lost b/c of the SSPX.

Now this puts me in a bit of a pickle.  My husband, up to this point, has not wanted to homeschool.  Recent events have made him reconsider as long as I am under her supervision.  She used to be a school teacher and has successfully homeschooled her kids, so my husband believes that as long as she oversees me, it would be doable.

I will not lie to her and hide the kit.  1st of all it is wrong to lie.  2nd of all - if she ever finds out, she would cut me off.  Do I just get rid of the kit and find other books to guide me or do I keep the kit and trust that something else will work out?  I am reluctant to go with the 2nd option b/c I have just gotten past my husband's objections to homeschooling and I think that is more important
(01-15-2010, 01:26 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...neral.html

This has been addressed ad nauseum...

No, she is not one of us...not if she has the option of a TLM and runs off to "communion" and "reconciliation"...LOL

I would not be so sure that she IS Catholic...it's only a matter of time....we believe as we pray...she prays differently so she probably believes differently...she does not respond to the graces available to her to see the SSPX in it's true light...FULLY CATHOLIC...thus she is probably not
(01-15-2010, 06:59 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: Those that have heard of it have very strong opinions.  I have a good friend that told me today that she is now uncomfortable coming into my house b/c she saw my welcome to tradition kit from the SSPX.  She believes that there is more rebellion in the SSPX than in the Anglicans & that they are deliberately against the Church and that many souls have been lost b/c of the SSPX.

Now this puts me in a bit of a pickle.  My husband, up to this point, has not wanted to homeschool.  Recent events have made him reconsider as long as I am under her supervision.  She used to be a school teacher and has successfully homeschooled her kids, so my husband believes that as long as she oversees me, it would be doable.

I will not lie to her and hide the kit.  1st of all it is wrong to lie.  2nd of all - if she ever finds out, she would cut me off.  Do I just get rid of the kit and find other books to guide me or do I keep the kit and trust that something else will work out?  I am reluctant to go with the 2nd option b/c I have just gotten past my husband's objections to homeschooling and I think that is more important

Send her a kit...LOL
Yes, send me a kit. I'm CheekyPinkGirl, the original writer of the blog post in question. Someone send me a private message here and I'll give you my address. (Wow, how DID I find this dicsussion? Pretty clever of me, hey Augustine? Maybe it never occured to you that those who criticize TRADS and SSPXers actually follow along to keep abreast of what's going on and what people are saying/thinking in order to be better educated and make decisions, huh? I lurk here ALL the time.)

Augustine has totally misrepresented what I wrote. He read ONE blog post on my blog and thinks he has me all figured out. Call my comments there misled and judegmental or uncharitable or whatever, but what's being said here about me is all in the same vein and in the same spirit. Which is fine. If I can dish it out, I can take it, right? But let's not kid ourselves and pretend that wasn't said was in fact said.

One word against the SSPX and I am a liberal, social justice, Haugen/Haas loving, TLM-hating, neo-Cath. That's a mighty tall order there folks, when NONE of that, NONE of that is true about me. Yes, more participation! More! More! More! Keep it coming! (I'm totally joking.)

The bottom line is that none of you know the woman in question that I was talking about. I don't know her either, but I did know her mother (the woman who died) and I know 2 of her siblings REAL well. I know exactly why she sat in the back pew of her mother's requiem Latin mass funeral. Everyone predicted she would do that, in fact, and she did not disappoint. Oh wait, yes she did. She caused people to wonder, whisper, and shake their head. Even the people there who were TRADS, of which there were quite a few. She did it on purpose to make a statement and it was crap.

All she needed to do was sit with her family, say whatever needs to be said in Latin, and not go up to communion if that's her main objection to a non-SSPX mass. How hard is that?
(01-15-2010, 07:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: One word against the SSPX and I am a liberal, social justice, Haugen/Haas loving, TLM-hating, neo-Cath. That's a mighty tall order there folks, when NONE of that, NONE of that is true about me. Yes, more participation! More! More! More! Keep it coming! (I'm totally joking.)

Who here called you any of that? I spent some time looking over your blog and you clearly go out of your way to trash traditional Catholics. You shouldn't act persecuted if people get offended.

(01-15-2010, 07:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: All she needed to do was sit with her family, say whatever needs to be said in Latin, and not go up to communion if that's her main objection to a non-SSPX mass. How hard is that?

Who are you to tell someone how to behave at her own mother's funeral?
In any case, if it's unfair for trads to stereotype you based on prior bad experiences, isn't it also unfair for you to do the same to trads? Even if this lady behaved so badly, she's one person. If there's any group of Catholics out there, entirely composed of people without  any "issues", let us know when you find them.