How the Average Pewsitter Views the SSPX
(01-15-2010, 07:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: Yes, send me a kit.

The kit comment was not for you.. it was for SearchingCaths friend...and it was a joke....but if you really are interested in the kit you can just get it off the SSPX website

http://sspx.org/apologetic_materials.htm

I do have some problems with the kit...it has good material mixed with material that is dumbed down so it is super over-simplified for the average or even less than average reader....so it can come off as simplified and foolish...which is to miss the point that it is contains some material for the lowest common denominator...much like the way public schools are run if you know what I mean.

For anyone to get a full view of the SSPX and the Church it is necessary to read the reading list that I always put forward and have several times on this board...I think I may even have posted it to you many months back when you first came on
(01-15-2010, 07:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: Yes, send me a kit. I'm CheekyPinkGirl, the original writer of the blog post in question. Someone send me a private message here and I'll give you my address. (Wow, how DID I find this dicsussion? Pretty clever of me, hey Augustine? Maybe it never occured to you that those who criticize TRADS and SSPXers actually follow along to keep abreast of what's going on and what people are saying/thinking in order to be better educated and make decisions, huh? I lurk here ALL the time.)

It might be because in the past you posted here referring to "CheekyPinkGirl" in the third person, and acted as if it wasn't your blog.

I think the first step to discussion might be being honest about who is who and what their agenda is.  Right now, the appearance isn't that you are here to keep abreast of what is going on, but looking for fodder for anti- traditional Catholic diatribes.  If you hadn't been deceptive to begin with, people might not be as suspicious.  I was suspicious months ago when I asked you outright if that was your blog.

Being deceptive is probably not a good start to dialogue between viewpoints.

I'm not aware of anyone calling me out on that. Perhaps I missed that. If so, I'm sorry.

Suffice it to say, I have never been comfortable being who I am here because of the venom I see here. I have wanted to explore Traditional Catholicism under the guise of anonymity. That's all there is to it.

I have posted entries to my blog here because I wanted feedback on what I've written without revealing who I am. It's that simple.
This is the internet.. pretty anonymous, I think.
(01-15-2010, 06:59 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: ...She believes that there is more rebellion in the SSPX than in the Anglicans & that they are deliberately against the Church and that many souls have been lost b/c of the SSPX.

Just an exercise:

Let's say she is right and that the SSPX is insidious.

The SSPX has, over the years tended maybe 3 million souls, but let's say it's even 10 mil for the sake of argument (funny because NOers always try to minimalize the size of the SSPX Mass attendance...but in this case they would try to maximize it..)  Then add the SSPV and say they have tended 1 million....and let's ad even the FSSP since they might argue that the trad mindset is causing division and loss of souls...so we will ad 5 million more...and then ad 10 more million just for kicks...people that have heard of the contoversy and walked away from converting or whatever...

that's a total of 26,000,000 souls lost because of the SSPX

the Anglican communion and it's off shots (Episcopal and such) were spread over the globe by the empire as the official religion...that means almost the entire English population for many decades...(a few centuries) were lost because they denied the Pope...and many points of the Faith....

Currently the Anglican Communion has about 77 million adherents and the Episcopal church has 2.4 mil after a major decline...and it was the Faith of several of the original states...VA for example

So in all probability we are talking about the loss of over 300 MILLION souls.. not to mention the off shoots of the original revolt and those who were emboldened to revolt in different ways in England and its colonies...this could be upwards of over a billion souls...

so SSPX 26 million (super liberal estimate), Anglican revolt 300 million (super conservative estimate)

Of course the premise is wrong....souls have been saved and reclaimed to the Church because of the SSPX
(01-15-2010, 06:59 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: I will not lie to her and hide the kit.  1st of all it is wrong to lie.  2nd of all - if she ever finds out, she would cut me off.  Do I just get rid of the kit and find other books to guide me or do I keep the kit and trust that something else will work out?  I am reluctant to go with the 2nd option b/c I have just gotten past my husband's objections to homeschooling and I think that is more important

I don't think there is anything dishonest about keeping the kit somewhere where she is not likely to see it.  It isn't really her business what you read.  If she insists on raising the topic of SSPX, you can say that you don't want to base your opinion of them on hearsay so you are finding out what they believe.  While that might not be the complete truth, you are not obliged to give her the complete truth. 

At any rate, I agree with you about the importance of homeschooling.  Try to maintain the relationship with her while avoiding the topic of SSPX.  When you know more about the SSPX you will be able to explain it to her, but you are not ready yet.  Wait until you are more knowledgeable and experienced and can present it more effectively.

I'm pretty sure that this would not be lying, but check with a priest to make sure.
(01-15-2010, 08:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: Suffice it to say, I have never been comfortable being who I am here because of the venom I see here. I have wanted to explore Traditional Catholicism under the guise of anonymity. That's all there is to it.

There are plenty of people here who attend the NO either exclusively or occassionally. They seem to do fine.
I dont understand why you would need the "supervision" of a state qualified teacher.  They really dont know much more than anyone else.  Your husband needs to get with the program,
Quote:I have a good friend that told me today that she is now uncomfortable coming into my house b/c she saw my welcome to tradition kit from the SSPX.
Hey, it's your friend, but if I knew somebody who said that to me, I would question the authenticity of their friendship. I mean, that's just weird. St. Thomas More had a LOT of friends of different faiths and opinions, and he still has an S T in front of his name.

Mr. Scipio, where can I see your reading list? [EDIT: Nevermind--I found it. For anyone interested, it's here: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33081138: ]
(01-15-2010, 08:21 PM)Hollyhock18 Wrote: I'm not aware of anyone calling me out on that. Perhaps I missed that. If so, I'm sorry.

Suffice it to say, I have never been comfortable being who I am here because of the venom I see here. I have wanted to explore Traditional Catholicism under the guise of anonymity. That's all there is to it.

I have posted entries to my blog here because I wanted feedback on what I've written without revealing who I am. It's that simple.

Hollyhock:
I'm Andrew K.  I posted a few times at your blog.  I highly recommend getting the SSPX "Intro to Tradition" kit.

Need more info?  PM me.