How the Average Pewsitter Views the SSPX
(01-15-2010, 09:33 PM)lumine Wrote:
(01-15-2010, 02:30 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: yeah, I think there's a LOT more snottiness and injustice, shunning behavior, coming from the NO crowd than the other way around.

SSPXers have all been mostly pretty kind to me, most of the time, in contrast to Indultarians, Conservative NOers and the like.

The worst part about it is that it's all based on hearsay and false premises....

I couldn't agree with you more.  That stuff might be gratifying to the puerile, but it isn't conducive to meaningful discussions.  She's hard enough to talk to without static like that.

You haven't read most of the posts here about the NOtards, among other kinds of so called Catholic tards............................

Bishop Bruskewitz declared excommunication for laity who assisted at SSPX Masses in what was his diocese.  Whatever happened with that, by the way?
(01-15-2010, 07:05 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: I would not be so sure that she IS Catholic...it's only a matter of time....we believe as we pray...she prays differently so she probably believes differently...she does not respond to the graces available to her to see the SSPX in it's true light...FULLY CATHOLIC...thus she is probably not

That's over the line.  If someone is validly baptized and professes the faith, they are Catholic until a competent authority declares otherwise.  And in the case of latae sententiae, etc., we still do not have the authority to pronounce that it has been incurred.

So, knock it off. 
(01-15-2010, 10:08 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: She is one of us.  As far as I know, she's a Roman Catholic, believes all of the Dogmas necessary for salvation and who knows, perhaps someone at the SSPX pissed her off so that her animus is even stronger and more irrational than before.

She posted here before about a friend who has a sister involved with SSPX who will not even appear in family pictures with her family.  It sounds like this friend's sister is the same person who would not sit with her family at the funeral.  If so, Cheeky Holly wasn't just judging a person based on where she sat at the funeral, but knew a lot of background about her.  It also sounds like this person has given her a bad impression of SSPX. 

It does not seem likely her experiences on FE are going to improve this impression.  Anyone looking to confirm negative opinions of traditional Catholics can find lots of ammunition here.  There is a full spectrum of views and styles here and the vocal, forceful ones are likely to stand out.  If Cheeky Holly is really interested in thoughtful discussion, she is probably better off in another venue.  She is welcome to pm me if she cares to do so.
(01-15-2010, 01:31 PM)cgraye Wrote: The average pewsitter has never heard of the SSPX, doesn't even know the TLM is still said or even what it is, and does not care about any of these issues, frankly.

This is most definitely my experience.
(01-15-2010, 10:53 PM)Walty Wrote:
(01-15-2010, 01:31 PM)cgraye Wrote: The average pewsitter has never heard of the SSPX, doesn't even know the TLM is still said or even what it is, and does not care about any of these issues, frankly.

This is most definitely my experience.

Same here.  Worse than not caring about the TLM and SSPX, they don't even care about the abuses going on at their own church.
(01-15-2010, 10:48 PM)JayneK Wrote: It does not seem likely her experiences on FE are going to improve this impression.  Anyone looking to confirm negative opinions of traditional Catholics can find lots of ammunition here.  There is a full spectrum of views and styles here and the vocal, forceful ones are likely to stand out. 
What masterful understatement!  :w2go:
(01-15-2010, 10:59 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Same here.  Worse than not caring about the TLM and SSPX, they don't even care about the abuses going on at their own church.

Until fairly recently there were many abuses that I had no idea were abuses, and I think that is typical.  So I'd say it's more ignorance than apathy. 

Speaking of ignorance, I "knew" that SSPX was some sort of Catholic cult.  :doh:

Mission accomplished......there at least.

Never under estimate the enemy.
My experience with "average awareness":

a. left Catholic Church at about age 18 in 1971 to join teen jesus-freaks who all left because if we were going to be protestants, why not get the real thing? (the old school building we took over and painted purple and turned into a Christian coffee house is still purple, BTW! But it has reverted back to being a storage facility for the playgrounds)

Then went to public university and all the pagan wilderness that followed, then twenty years of "Church of the Month" club and independent Bible study

Made small attempt to return to Church while living in Boston, got sickened by what was going on, participated as witness in important pro-Catholic-family case (provided evidence to investigator and evidence was presented as part of Father Pacwa's testimony in DiBari V Bedford) but had no conversations with any Catholics about politics in Church, etc. and did not read any Catholic magazines or newspapers.

b. returned to faith in Catholic Church over the course of parents dying and this included participating in the process of writing our parents' funeral Mass.

c. decided to return to Church completely, contacted only available Parish,  went through steps, then was shocked by the nazi-like behavior of Scott Hahn's followers, shocked by occult coven-like practices of the local Rosary/Adoration group, and shocvked by a comment from the Pastor that members of my family might be part of "That LeFevre cult" (what? because I have a French name?  it was an Irish priest with few French people in the parish)  did not know or particularly care who LeFebvre was at the time, but learned became too busy trying to survive a complete lynch-mob-like assault on my business and home.

Managed to get everything I had left put into storage by trading my "Joseph's Coat" rose bush for help from a pick-up-truck owner and bunked out at the Salvation Army. found an old-fashioned  weekday mass to attend.  met a young man there who was also bunking out at the Salvation Army who told me more about the SSPX and LeFebvre issue and I began picking my way through the politics.

So, I would say that the average pew-sitter's knowledge of TLM and SSPX is almost an underground thing if it exists at all, with those at the average  N-O church-committee level and higher being ready to shoot first and ask questions later.

So, please don't be surprised when unsuspecting  Cahtolics bump you the wrong way while diving into the trenches and looking around to figure out why we are ducking bullets all of a sudden.  That is the kind of thing that happens when a war moves from elite sniper squads to all-out battle: the  people who thought there was a safe neutral ground get wounded first.
I don't think trads should have to pussyfoot aroung the real issues in the Church for fear of offending someone who's so ready to be offended. There aren't that many supertrads here...if she really cared to find out more about tradition maybe she wouldn't write blogs about "why the SSPX sucks." This isn't ignorance; it's hostility.