How the Average Pewsitter Views the SSPX
(01-17-2010, 04:23 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: .she is on the periphery of trad...she sees it...I think it actually interests her.

That is my impression too.  I like your idea about the anti-SSPX friend holding her back.  I find it quite plausible. 
littlerose and Jaynek--

As a compulsive lurker and sometime poster on these boards, I can attest to the fact that scipio is not being baited (well, maybe he is a little), he is not maliciously calling names, and he is not hateful.  He is a devoted trad (in a particular sense of the term (and what other sense is there?)) and is concerned about the eternal welfare of this person.  Frankly, his single-minded devotion to the cause is inspiring, and it's a little sad that it's being so over-looked by (as it seems) unfounded suspicion and jumping to unwarranted conclusions.  The name stuff is the way some things are done on these boards, for better or worse, and are actually, more often than not, terms of endearment (note the verbal gymnastics followed by what should be gails of garrulous laughter in some instances).  Most of us trads (and certainly most of the posters here) have a sense of humor, and try to read posts charitably.  Remember, this is a virtual community, and many personas were established well before many of us found it.  I have never found it necessary or prudent to defend anyone on here before, but the bizarre and groundless accusations buzzing around scipio on this thread kinda tickled my "where the heck did they get that from" bone. 
(01-17-2010, 01:45 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-17-2010, 01:24 PM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: Also, are the "Orthodox" the same as "Eastern rite" and aren't they considered "separated bretheren?"

Thanks.

I can answer this part.  Orthodox is different from Eastern rite.  The Orthodox are "separated brethren".  Eastern rite are Catholics in full communion with Rome, although their liturgy is more like that of the Orthodox. 

Right.  The Orthodox have been in schism since the 12th Century.  They do not recognize the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome above all other bishops in the appropriate manner.  Letting an Orthodox priest give a blessing with a Catholic aspergilium when it was not out of necessity would be sinful.

I don't have a problem with the phrase "separated brethren", I have a problem with his exuberant hugging, and so did the priest.  At the least, they were undignified.  You don't go around hugging your "separated brethren" on the street. 
This thread has outlived its usefulness, and I'm happy to report that CheekyPinkGirl has succeded in her (perhaps preconscious) goal of causing strife in the forum.  :w2go:

Which is what she wanted to do to begin with - to stir the pot with her inflammatory posts.

Boy, are we a bunch of suckers.  Maybe we won't fall for it with the next troll that comes along.  I'm guessing we probably will, though.  Sigh.