Screen jumping while posting
Quis:
You could save yourself some trouble if you could get these folks to make the switch over to Firefox.

All it involves is running a .exe file.

Honestly!  :-D
(02-01-2010, 01:09 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Quis:
You could save yourself some trouble if you could get these folks to make the switch over to Firefox.

All it involves is running a .exe file.

Honestly!  :-D

Opera is better.

Also, people using IE are asking for trouble. It is too integrated into the OS and Windows's lack of security measures make it even more vulnerable.

But it would be a good official policy:

Quote:This forum runs on SMF, an open source software package with the following license: http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

Any browser could be used, but anyone using Internet Explorer should know that it is a horrible browser with poor implementation of standards, rampant violations of common sense and insecure. If you have problems with it, the solution is ALWAYS to use another browser.
I used Firefox since beta. I even bought the polo shirt to support deveopment.

About a year ago, the slow startup started killing me, just killing me. Like several seconds to start the app, with or without addons, and I have beefy computers.

I'd always had Chrome installed as a backup and gradually ended up using it more and more. As of maybe 4 mos ago I started using it exclusively, don't remember the last time I started FF. I don't miss it.

Chrome  is soooo much snappier. When I click, it does it: now.

Opera is fine, but it's also obscure. Chrome has a future because it's Google's browser, Opera is comparable to telling everyone on FE to switch to Linux: ain't gonna happen.
Oh, and in defense of Quis, people who have problems with the site because they obdurately refuse to use one of 3 other far better, available browsers on the market-- should have their problems ignored.
(02-01-2010, 02:28 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Chrome  is soooo much snappier. When I click, it does it: now.
Yes, Chrome is very quick. I do not like it because its design is not suited for my purposes.

Quote:Opera is fine, but it's also obscure. Chrome has a future because it's Google's browser, Opera is comparable to telling everyone on FE to switch to Linux: ain't gonna happen.
Opera is not obscure. Linux is also widespread. Opera follows the standards and always has, so even though it isn't as widely used, it is well made enough to deal with almost anything, even those things which are not part of the standards. People can usually use Opera with no problems when they try it the first time. I used to use Firefox, but it was terribly slow and unstable and the extensions I used to get the proper function were building up to a ridiculous level. Opera provides all I want without compromising speed or time (all its features are still light).

Opera has a future. It has been in active use for a long time. Chrome probably has a future, but it will take a lot for it to be something that one can be sure that will stick around. For most of google's products, it relies on being the best. The best search engine, best free web mail, etc but when it comes to making new products, it can be very shaky. Chrome has to give people a reason to switch from whatever browser they've been using for the past few years or they can make deals with OEMs to get it installed so people do not realise they have a choice.
(02-01-2010, 02:51 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(02-01-2010, 02:28 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Chrome  is soooo much snappier. When I click, it does it: now.
Yes, Chrome is very quick. I do not like it because its design is not suited for my purposes.

Quote:Opera is fine, but it's also obscure. Chrome has a future because it's Google's browser, Opera is comparable to telling everyone on FE to switch to Linux: ain't gonna happen.
Opera is not obscure. Linux is also widespread. Opera follows the standards and always has, so even though it isn't as widely used, it is well made enough to deal with almost anything, even those things which are not part of the standards. People can usually use Opera with no problems when they try it the first time. I used to use Firefox, but it was terribly slow and unstable and the extensions I used to get the proper function were building up to a ridiculous level. Opera provides all I want without compromising speed or time (all its features are still light).

Opera has a future. It has been in active use for a long time. Chrome probably has a future, but it will take a lot for it to be something that one can be sure that will stick around. For most of google's products, it relies on being the best. The best search engine, best free web mail, etc but when it comes to making new products, it can be very shaky. Chrome has to give people a reason to switch from whatever browser they've been using for the past few years or they can make deals with OEMs to get it installed so people do not realise they have a choice.

Just checking what happens when I reply to a long quote using Firefox. So far so good.  :)
(02-01-2010, 02:28 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I used Firefox since beta. I even bought the polo shirt to support deveopment.

About a year ago, the slow startup started killing me, just killing me. Like several seconds to start the app, with or without addons, and I have beefy computers.

I'd always had Chrome installed as a backup and gradually ended up using it more and more. As of maybe 4 mos ago I started using it exclusively, don't remember the last time I started FF. I don't miss it.

Opera is fine, but it's also obscure. Chrome has a future because it's Google's browser, Opera is comparable to telling everyone on FE to switch to Linux: ain't gonna happen.

Is there any easy way for me to have my bookmarks put into Chrome, and then be accessible online?  I currently use Xmarks, because I can sync the bookmarks between my Ubuntu and my 7 partition. 

Chrome is pretty.  And nice.
(02-01-2010, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Is there any easy way for me to have my bookmarks put into Chrome, and then be accessible online?  I currently use Xmarks, because I can sync the bookmarks between my Ubuntu and my 7 partition.   

Not sure how up to date this is: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/08...marks.html
(02-01-2010, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(02-01-2010, 02:28 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I used Firefox since beta. I even bought the polo shirt to support deveopment.

Is there any easy way for me to have my bookmarks put into Chrome, and then be accessible online?  I currently use Xmarks, because I can sync the bookmarks between my Ubuntu and my 7 partition.   

Yup, called 'bookmark sync'

In fact, when you start Chrome, if you use the Chrome start page, look towards the bottom next to the link for Chrome extensions, you'll see a link for the bookmark sync service.
(02-01-2010, 09:38 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(02-01-2010, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Yup, called 'bookmark sync'

In fact, when you start Chrome, if you use the Chrome start page, look towards the bottom next to the link for Chrome extensions, you'll see a link for the bookmark sync service.

I found it.

Chrome is nice.