Screen jumping while posting
Seconded.
I should read the announcements more often.  I didn't realize this had already been discussed by the mods when I posted about it a few days ago.

I just switched to Firefox and uninstalled IE8 completely.
I've been having this problem with the screen jumping lately. I use Internet Explorer and didn't have a problem previously.
(02-01-2010, 02:02 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Opera is better.

Opera is IE based browser, only the user interface is different

The problem with the IE or IE base is that it is the most popular and thus target to the idiots, who believe that making viruses makes the better man.  Unfortunately the Firefox becomes popular too, and thus targeted.
(06-29-2010, 01:38 PM)glgas Wrote: The problem with the IE or IE base is that it is the most popular and thus target to the idiots, who believe that making viruses makes the better man.  Unfortunately the Firefox becomes popular too, and thus targeted.

You can run, but you can't hide.  Security through obscurity is a losing proposition.
(06-29-2010, 01:38 PM)glgas Wrote:
(02-01-2010, 02:02 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: Opera is better.

Opera is IE based browser, only the user interface is different

The problem with the IE or IE base is that it is the most popular and thus target to the idiots, who believe that making viruses makes the better man.  Unfortunately the Firefox becomes popular too, and thus targeted.

What? Opera uses Presto as the layout engine (and other engines for the JavaScript) and IE uses Trident. Presto is released for many platforms, including Linux. Trident is Windows only. Opera is not related to IE at all. Opera has been known to follow and implement standards before IE and Fx have (which, I do not think it is a good thing, I'd rather the browsers raced to be standards compliant).

So, retract your silliness and know that Opera is completely distinct from IE in every way.

The problem with IE is that a web browser is integrated into the operating system (for legal reasons), and this allows a web browser to have access to core system functions, because Windows has a default Administrative account which most people stupidly use (or unknowingly). When one's web browser has access to the administrative scripting tools of a system, that is a problem.

And it isn't about targeting. Opera is very widespread on the Wii and on cell phones...no problems there. Windows is the most used desktop system, but servers run Linux, BSD or some other system many times and are a majority, yet, they are not known for being easy targets. User share is not the problem. That would only increase social engineering attacks (which can work regardless of security measures).
(01-30-2010, 11:04 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: It has come to my attention (thanks, Clare!) that people who use IE8 have a problem with the edit box (the thing you type into) jumping around when quoting longer posts.

It seems to be an IE8 issue because I didn't have this problem in IE7, nor in Firefox.

So, I will see if SMF (the software we use for the forum) has a fix.  In the meantime, try another browser if possible (I like Firefox personally).

And if this is happening to anyone in anything except IE8, please let me know by replying.  Thanks!

It was a problem for me, so I simply downloaded FireFox and the problem was solved.

Besides, FF is faster anyway.
(06-29-2010, 08:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: It was a problem for me, so I simply downloaded FireFox and the problem was solved.

Heh, you think FF is fast, try Chrome.
(06-29-2010, 09:03 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 08:52 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: It was a problem for me, so I simply downloaded FireFox and the problem was solved.

Heh, you think FF is fast, try Chrome.

Nope. I said "faster" than IE, not "fast".
(01-30-2010, 11:04 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: It has come to my attention (thanks, Clare!) that people who use IE8 have a problem with the edit box (the thing you type into) jumping around when quoting longer posts.

It seems to be an IE8 issue because I didn't have this problem in IE7, nor in Firefox.

So, I will see if SMF (the software we use for the forum) has a fix.  In the meantime, try another browser if possible (I like Firefox personally).

And if this is happening to anyone in anything except IE8, please let me know by replying.  Thanks!

Thank you so much for your post.