The Church fathers on women
This is like these people who say the Earth has only been around for a few thousand years just because Genesis says God made the world in 7 days. What these people don't understand is what is also said about 1 day as being as a thousand years. God's "day" is not hour day. People love to misinterpret things.

I believe one of the reasons for the downfall of the society and also the Church is when women felt the need to go out and work and become men.

(02-09-2010, 11:15 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [Image: troll.jpg]

[Image: BINGO.gif]

It's the "new here" title that's a dead giveaway. Shoulda known...
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
A word about Tertullian. He used to be an orthodox Catholic who preached wonderfully, but he defected. He became a heretic, a Manichaean, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). When using virulent quotes from him, one would do well to note whether he made the remark before or after his defection. One of the books I read on Church history claims that Tertullian's remarks about women that feminists love to quote came from his heretical period and can therefore be dismissed.

St. Augustine is a mixed bag. A while back Vox posted a lovely article about his views on women, which were rather more complex than this quote indicates -- perhaps someone knows where to find it? A feminist he was not, but neither was he a misogynist.
(02-09-2010, 11:15 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [Image: troll.jpg]

Any of you read Metatron's introduction into the forum? As far as I can tell he's not a troll but has a genuine quiry. And he fully admits to not being a Christian. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt first.
(02-09-2010, 12:56 PM)Satori Wrote: He became a heretic, a Manichaean, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Montanist, actually.
(02-09-2010, 01:22 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:
(02-09-2010, 12:56 PM)Satori Wrote: He became a heretic, a Manichaean, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Montanist, actually.
You can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  ;)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-09-2010, 01:22 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:

Montanist, actually.

Thank you, yes. Ancient Pentecostals!
Tertullian became montanist at the end of his life: beliving that certain sins idolatry, blasphemy, homicide, adultery, fornication, false witness, fraud are unforgivable, and setting unnecessary rigor in other cases (flee from persecution, second marriage) too. The manicheist went significantly farter, they believed that everyting carnal is from the evil. St Augustine was manicheist in his younger days.

(02-09-2010, 12:56 PM)Satori Wrote: A word about Tertullian. He used to be an orthodox Catholic who preached wonderfully, but he defected. He became a heretic, a Manichaean, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). When using virulent quotes from him, one would do well to note whether he made the remark before or after his defection. One of the books I read on Church history claims that Tertullian's remarks about women that feminists love to quote came from his heretical period and can therefore be dismissed.

St. Augustine is a mixed bag. A while back Vox posted a lovely article about his views on women, which were rather more complex than this quote indicates -- perhaps someone knows where to find it? A feminist he was not, but neither was he a misogynist.
(02-09-2010, 01:34 PM)glgas Wrote: Tertullian became montanist at the end of his life: beliving that certain sins idolatry, blasphemy, homicide, adultery, fornication, false witness, fraud are unforgivable, and setting unnecessary rigor in other cases (flee from persecution, second marriage) too. The manicheist went significantly farter, they believed that everyting carnal is from the evil. St Augustine was manicheist in his younger days.
Is Tertullian one of the Church Fathers or not, then?
(02-09-2010, 10:29 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: If it weren't for the women in my church, there wouldn't be any celebrations. No community. They do all the work that way. There'd just be the Mass then everyone would go home.

Very true, Jaca!  Also, if the women in a parish only attended Mass and tended their families, Father would have to wash and iron all the altar cloths, purificators, etc., plus polish the candlesticks, refill the candle stands, see to the flowers for the altar, all the little things the women of the Altar Society do now.