Why would God create a soul he knows will go to Hell?
(07-15-2010, 11:57 AM)ggreg Wrote: Whatever, made all that stuff is God and I am willing to just do whatever I am told as best I can as miserable little creature on this rocky iron plant.  His power is beyond awesome it is mind-bendingly poop-droppingly piss-in-my-pants runnily Wow!

Well that's one way to say it.
(07-15-2010, 11:57 AM)ggreg Wrote: When I watch the Hubble Deep Space Field video on YouTube where they found 3000 galaxies in tiny fragment of otherwise black space and figure that if God exists He made all that just for a laugh, then my honest answer is "How the heck would any of us know why?"

When I try to reason out things like that, my reasoning comes out a bit "geocentric" so-to-speak in that I wonder just how much these bodies impact life here.  Surely the solar system has an effect on our planet in more ways than we can know or can imagine, I wonder if all bodies even to the furthest outreaches of the heavenlies are necessary for causing certain desirable effects on this planet, however minute those effects may be.  The ancients practice of planetary worship because of their beliefs that these bodies are thinking entities that are responsible for desirable and undesirable effects has made me wonder about just how far cause and effect reach us and affect us.

When considering the great pains scientists have gone to to try to recreate the conditions in which life arose, or the Big Bang, it makes me wonder just what all is really necessary for this planet to be the way it is.  Like I said, this thinking is a bit geocentric, but it makes me wonder if we aren't more important than we're willing to give ourselves credit for.  Is that silly?

isn't that kinda like asking "why did God create man if he knew we would sin against Him?" or "why did God create His angels if he knew some would rebel against Him?" 

I'll be sure to put that on my list of things to ask God when I die, right underneath UFOs. 
(08-02-2010, 01:11 AM)Carpool Wrote: isn't that kinda like asking "why did God create man if he knew we would sin against Him?" or "why did God create His angels if he knew some would rebel against Him?" 

I'll be sure to put that on my list of things to ask God when I die, right underneath UFOs. 

But I think this is one of the first things answered in the Catechism (for those who grew up traditionally...I have no idea how things are run in the NO).

God knows a soul that will/is most likely to choose the path to Hell will be given opportunities in life to avoid that choice nonetheless and therefore can always exercise free will and choose to defy its most likely destiny.

That, and God deigned to create souls and human life before sin entered into the world. Why should God stop with His plan for the existence of souls and human life just because sin came into the world - and especially now, after Christ came and died and rose from the dead?
One of the best threads ever........... :-)
If God only created souls that would choose Him over Hell, could we comprehend love? No.

God would still be Love, but I we couldn't possibly comprehend love without first knowing the lack thereof. Do you understand that some must suffer to a horrible extent in order that others (the elect), will understand what love is?

And, as has been said, it's not that He created anyone for hell, but God cooperates with us in creation. He has given us the privilege to have a part in bringing souls into existence. 

He loves us very much.

The important thing is this: God wants everyone in Heaven.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I highly recommend the section on hell from Romano Amerio's Iota Unum
One thought that has entered my mind lately with a lot of force is that this is indeed Die Beste aller möglichen Welten.  Leibniz was right.  The absolute proof is that God made things this way.  It makes little sense to imagine that God might have made a better world, but chose to make this worse one.

The eternal existence of hell and the souls in it must be a good.  God is His Being is His Justice is His Goodness is His Love.  Hell is thus both Good and Just.  Hell stands as an eternal proclamation of God's goodness and justice.  Romano Amerio uses the analogy of a painting with contrasting lighting.  If you put your face very close to a dark portion of the painting, all you would see is darkness.  Yet if you stand back and take the entire thing in at once, you see that the darkness is necessary to making the perfect and beautiful unity of the work of art.  As hard as it is for us to comprehend, from the God's eye point of view, hell must be part of the perfection of His plan.

Amerio, taking some inspiration from Dante, also suggests that at the judgment, the damned souls will be racing to get into hell, not because the experience of hell is going to be enjoyable (by no means) but that their souls will take some kind of comfort from being where they belong.  In other words, hell in the translation to eternity, corrects what was wrong with this world definitively and forever.
Why should God limit Himself because of our abuse of free will? He created souls for heaven, souls chose to reject His offer.