Why would God create a soul he knows will go to Hell?
If there is no option to lose the game, how do you have free will?  If there's no Hell, you can't NOT get to Heaven.

God knows that a given soul is going to Hell, but not because of predestination or some other Protestant misunderstanding.  We're in time, God is outside of time......everything that has ever happened or ever will happen is already known to God because He's not limited to seeing events and choices unfold, as we are.

Every choice we make or will make, and everything that influences or will influence that choice is known to God, who knows us better than we know ourselves.

For a poor analogy, when our son was 2 or 3, his mind and his reactions were so limited that they were easily encompassed by an adult mind (even mine!).  Most parents could accurately predict their childrens' reactions in any given situation or to any given stimulus when they are that age.  So, if I predict that little Luigi will do so-and-so, and he does it, it's not because he does not have free will, but because I know him so well that I know how he will exercise that free will in any given situation.  And how much easier it is for God to know our every action and reaction without in any way diminishing our freedom.

As others have already stated, this is the flip side of having free will to choose to know, love, and serve God.......there MUST be the choice to not know, not love, and not serve him, else the "choice" would be meaningless.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why would God create a soul he knows will go to Hell? - by DesperatelySeeking - 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM