Matt. 6:16-18 and wearing the ashes
So, I was reading the Gospel for today where it says that we're not supposed to show off that we're fasting or doing penance.  How might this apply to the wearing of ashes today?  Should they be washed off before one leaves the Church, or is it OK to wear them throughout the day (as several of my students have been doing)?
I'm not a scripture scholar, but I think the admonition is against doing things like the hypocrites do; don't receive ashes for the point of showing off how Catholicy you are.  Do it as a reminder to repent and turn the Lord.
(02-17-2010, 07:40 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I'm not a scripture scholar, but I think the admonition is against doing things like the hypocrites do; don't receive ashes for the point of showing off how Catholicy you are.  Do it as a reminder to repent and turn the Lord.

Yes, this is what the sermon was about at the Mass I went to today.  It is to be a sign for us (and I think, for others) of our Faith, our sinfulness, and our death.  I cannot think that most people would find vanity or pride or anything like that in having some dirty ashes on their foreheads.  The same can't be said of the hypocrites who showed their fasting and prayer in public.  I suppose if it brings one to pride they should perhaps remove them, but otherwise they are a sign.
One should never be proud of their devotion, nor ashamed of their faith. Wear the ashes, just don't got out of your way to show that you're wearing them. I believe that's the point.

And while doing penance, smile.
(02-18-2010, 12:04 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: One should never be proud of their devotion, nor ashamed of their faith. Wear the ashes, just don't got out of your way to show that you're wearing them. I believe that's the point.

And while doing penance, smile.

This is a very good point. A really hard aspect of this all is to be in good cheer when you're hungry and tired. Don't look all haggard-- don't do it! It's a form of pride to be sure.
Its kinda weird because I don't know about u guys but I received ashes on me forhead. So unless I was dealing with blind people after mass out and about yeah the ashes sure show. And the only person that went out of their way to show them is the priest who put them on me. Nothing much u can do about it  other then cover them up. Weird to suggest not to go out of ones way to purposely show a sign put dead center on ones forhead.
Guess its me
LoL