Vatican Releases Top 10 Albums of All Time List
Quote:On February 15, the Vatican's newspaper, L' Osservatore Romano, published its list of the top ten rock and pop albums of all time. Read more on The Wall Street Journal, which reports the piece is "a semiserious guide," a "handbook of musical resistance" that offers an alternative to "mediocre and cheesy tunes" featured in popular Italian festivals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainm...otogallery

While I think there are some really good albums on here and I may agree 100% of the top pick, what is the point of this?  Why is the Vatican spending so much time on these secular and worldly things?  I understand that this is just from the Vatican newspaper, but conceivably someone in the Vatican is spending time on this and that's somehow being justified.  It's Lent.  Is this really the most important thing to be discussing?  The Church never would have spent time on something like this before.
Weird list. The Crosby and Fagen entries are surprising. Revolver is listed as #1 and all the rest are chronological.

1. The Beatles, Revolver

2. David Crosby, If I Could Only Remember My Name

3. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

4. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

5. Donald Fagen, The Nightfly

6. Michael Jackson, Thriller

7. Paul Simon, Graceland

8. U2, Achtung Baby

9. Oasis, (What’s the Story) Morning Glory

10. Carlos Santana, Supernatural

(02-17-2010, 08:59 PM)Walty Wrote:
Quote:On February 15, the Vatican's newspaper, L' Osservatore Romano, published its list of the top ten rock and pop albums of all time. Read more on The Wall Street Journal, which reports the piece is "a semiserious guide," a "handbook of musical resistance" that offers an alternative to "mediocre and cheesy tunes" featured in popular Italian festivals.

While I think there are some really good albums on here and I may agree 100% of the top pick, what is the point of this?  Why is the Vatican spending so much time on these secular and worldly things?  I understand that this is just from the Vatican newspaper, but conceivably someone in the Vatican is spending time on this and that's somehow being justified.  It's Lent.  Is this really the most important thing to be discussing?  The Church never would have spent time on something like this before.

Be careful about saying "the Vatican." It is just their newspaper which has been known to be a bit eccentric at times.
(02-17-2010, 09:19 PM)BlessedKarl Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 08:59 PM)Walty Wrote:

Be careful about saying "the Vatican." It is just their newspaper which has been known to be a bit eccentric at times.
Changes have been afoot at L'OR for a few months now.

From "In the Light of the Law", a blog by canonist Ed Peters:
http://www.canonlaw.info/2009/06/lor-and...eason.html
Ed Peters Wrote:For most of my life L'Osservatore Romano has been a sleepy Roman rag that arrived weeks after its publication date, printed in cheap ink that soiled the fingers of those who felt the need to read page after page of boilerplate remarks on the latest ambassador from anywhere shown in his tuxedo presenting diplomatic credentials. Aside, I suppose, from an occasionally interesting book review, L'OR has for decades carried nothing of serious interest that could not be found much more quickly in a half-dozen other venues, ones, moreover, that didn't compel readers to wash their hands before handling anything beige or white.

But lately, L'OR has decided to become relevant. God help us.

Having just emerged, battered, but, I thought, moderately chastened after its embarrassingly naive and harmful editorial in praise of Pres. Obama, L'OR treats the world to a high-schoolish tribute to the highly talented and utterly pathetic entertainer Michael Jackson.

Jackson might not be fully responsible for the swirling chaos that was his life and death, but for L'OR even to mention his death - - without simultaneously urging Catholics to pray for his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed - - astounds me.

Worse, the L'OR report leaves Catholics little sense that much of Jackson's work was sexually exploitative, at times quasi-obscene; it dismisses as insignificant the terrible example that Jackson's chronic pursuit of superficial "beauty" gave to millions of young people; and, worst of all, it trivializes the serious, and in some cases unresolved, allegations of child sexual abuse made against him. L'OR need not assume the worst about Jackson's conduct in these cases, but it should never have implied that such allegations, even if they are true, cannot tarnish the world-wide esteem in which he is held! Good grief. Has L'OR completely lost its reason?

If the Vatican wants a newspaper to provide a Catholic perspective on the world, fine. Item Number One on the to-do list, though, should be to find Catholics who can write and edit such a paper coherently. Anyone can lurch from gaff to gaff.

In the meantime, if you really want to get in on the Jackson Praise Train, check out M-TV, dude. Their graphics are like way better than L'OR.

These asinine articles seem to be coming from a Vatican press office experimenting (with varying degrees of success) how to broaden the scope of the newspaper.  In the meantime, it has gotten some strange and unfortunate attention for these experiments.
Call me cynical but I would think the Vatican would have better things to do then play Rolling Stone Magazine. And Revolver seriously? a great album sure but the last song Tomorrow Never Knows was written after John Lennon took acid and read the Tibeten Book of the Dead.
Though I agree with the OP, and I realize that L'OR in no way represents the Vatican itself, the very thought of the Holy Father's having "Thriller" on his iPod is still immensely entertaining to me.  ;)
Leaving aside the propriety of a Top 10 R&R records list appearing in the Vatican's official newspaper, I refuse to consider any list that prefers Revolver to the White Album and doesn't include The Cure's Disintegration.

Like Bob Ross said: it's my world. :huh-uh:

(02-17-2010, 09:31 PM)Baskerville Wrote: And Revolver seriously? a great album sure but the last song Tomorrow Never Knows was written after John Lennon took acid and read the Tibeten Book of the Dead.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead refracted through Leary's The Psychedelic Experience, actually.

At least there's no Milli Vanilli.  Mille grazie, L'Osservatore Romano
I don't see what the big deal is, there just interjecting some trivia into their usually serious topics,
I welcome it. Of course you could always be talking about something important, but who is to say
what is important to say all the time. Culture is an integral part of human society, and whats is human culture
you could say is important. Some people seem to want to find bad things from the Vatican
I notice theres no country in the list heres one of my favorite country songs: