Vatican Releases Top 10 Albums of All Time List
(02-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Bellringer Wrote:Not at all.
I only like classical music.

So does the Pope, so you're in good company.  ;D
(02-18-2010, 11:04 AM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(02-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Bellringer Wrote:Not at all.
I only like classical music.

So does the Pope, so you're in good company.  ;D

but only if you like mozart.  ;D

(02-18-2010, 01:37 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: am I a bad Catholic for not liking rock, but only swing, classical, and country?

Well, for the country part, yes.  ;D
(02-18-2010, 07:33 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 08:59 PM)Walty Wrote: The Church never would have spent time on something like this before.

Don't know about that. Pope Leo X spent the bulk of his pontificate making Rome into a cultural center of the world. He even had a pet elephant named Hanno that would join papal processions.

True, but I think one could make the argument that the Faith informed the secular much more at that time and the two weren't sort of diametrically opposed as they are now.
(02-17-2010, 09:58 PM)Marc Wrote: Leaving aside the propriety of a Top 10 R&R records list appearing in the Vatican's official newspaper, I refuse to consider any list that prefers Revolver to the White Album and doesn't include The Cure's Disintegration.

Definitely.  "Pictures of You" would be the #1 song.

Not good to make the John Lennon acid comparison though since Robert Smith wrote the music for the album on Heroin and in severe depression.
What the paper needs to do to be considered seriously is to bring back Fr. Guido Sarducci, the inimitable  rock and gossip columnist of yesteryear. With all of the 70 year old Italians, one would have thought Louis Prima would have been in the mix. 
tim
(02-18-2010, 12:05 PM)Walty Wrote: True, but I think one could make the argument that the Faith informed the secular much more at that time and the two weren't sort of diametrically opposed as they are now.

I'd agree with that.

On the other hand, Catholicism is still rooted far deeper into the culture of Italy than here. But why are all the bands in the list from English-speaking countries? Seems to be an acknowledgement of the superiority of the Anglophone world. There are no good Italian bands out there?
(02-18-2010, 03:39 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: On the other hand, Catholicism is still rooted far deeper into the culture of Italy than here. But why are all the bands in the list from English-speaking countries? Seems to be an acknowledgement of the superiority of the Anglophone world. There are no good Italian bands out there?

Did Sinatra make the cut?  :)
(02-18-2010, 07:33 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 08:59 PM)Walty Wrote: The Church never would have spent time on something like this before.

Don't know about that. Pope Leo X spent the bulk of his pontificate making Rome into a cultural center of the world. He even had a pet elephant named Hanno that would join papal processions.

Hanno (Italian, Annone; c. 1510 – 8 June 1516) was the pet white elephant given by King Manuel I of Portugal to Pope Leo X (born Giovanni de' Medici) on his coronation. Hanno came to Rome in 1514 and quickly became the Pope's favorite animal. Hanno died two years later from complications of a treatment for constipation with a gold-enriched laxative.

:o :o :o
The next time I hear someone complain about the riches of the Church, I'm going to tell them about Hanno the Papal elephant who shat gold.