Po' Boys
Does anyone else love them?

I haven't had a good one in years.

I grew up in Houston, Texas, right down the street from a deli called Antone's, and my mouth still waters when I remember their po' boys.

Sigh. They were very un-Lenten.
Good stuff.  Had 'em for the first time New Year's Eve 1991 on Bourbon St....anything after that's a little hazy.  ;)  Can't say I am a devotee, but they ARE tasty.
What exactly is a po' boy?  ???
A sammich.  A delicious sammich.
(02-20-2010, 12:20 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: What exactly is a po' boy?  ???

I always thought it was just another name for a sub sandwich, but evidently it is specifically French baguette with fried meat inside, as opposed to cold cuts.
The meat need not be fried. What specifically makes it a po' boy is the French bread. And it must be REAL French bread, not the flabby extended length hot dog buns the bakeries sometimes try to foist onto the public as "baguettes." I'm talking about crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside, with just a hint of salt. And lots of mayonnaise. The classic New Orleans-style po'boy has fried oysters on it, but you can also get them with cold cuts, sausage, and other things. A restaurant here in Richmond run by a Louisiana man sells a delicious fried catfish po'boy with hot sauce. But my absolute favorite is what I'm remembering from my Texas childhood: salami, ham, provolone cheese, pickles, and a mysterious spicy-sweet chow chow that I'd give my pinkies for -- the recipe, that is. This is how the Houston deli Antone's made them, and this to me will always be a "real" po'boy even though I now know they aren't "traditional."

Anyway. Po'boys in any form have about as much in common with a submarine sandwich as a weiner has in common with a kielbasa.
Ever since I saw this thread I can't stop thinking about this pirate-y restaurant by the beach that serves shrimp po' boys.  Fried shrimp, baguette, and a spicy remoulade kinda sauce.  They're really good but since by my estimate, they contain about 27,000 calories, I cannot partake.

I . Love. ALL. PoBoys.  :laughing: 
My dad used to take us to the Import Grocery store that Satori is talking about and they were to die for. They still exist in some incarnation and can be found in grocery stores, but they aren't exactly the same. The meat is a bit skimpier, the pickles have changed entirely and since they're not hand-made in the deli (but shipped around instead) the bread isn't quite as fresh and crusty. I still buy them when I have extra money and I still enjoy them. Satori's right, it's all in the Chow Chow. No one else makes it like they do, it's quite unique.
My husband and I made several trips to New Orleans when we were first married (he's from Louisiana) and he introduced me to the "other" kinds of PoBoys. There's a little meat market and grocery across the causeway with a deli counter and they made the BEST hot roast beef poboys I have ever eaten. Warm, dripping with mayo and gravy, and fully dressed all on crusty french sub rolls. Pair them with a side of their fried bell pepper rings and you have heaven. Sadly, we don't know if they survived Hurricane Katrina :'( ...but those poboys were worth the 5-6 hour drive everytime. We had fried shrimp poboys in the French Quarter and they were amazing also. Although since we tried those at a brewery with a beer sampler, my memories might have been a bit altered.  :laughing:
Is there more southern food?  You guys should try a brat.
In the last couple of years, during our runs to central Arkansas, we used to frequent this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, and after becoming regulars, and befriending the proprietors, they let us (well, me...) in the kitchen, if the place was slow at the time.  One of the things I made, was a po'boy: salami, provolone, ham, thinly sliced chicken or turkey loaf, and some leftover fried shrimp, as well as a leaf or two of lettuce.  Good stuff.

They started offering it on their menu later.

Unfortunately, they closed up, so for the last six months or so, we've frequented a little Thai restaurant.  Sadly, they won't allow us/me in the kitchen.  Probably a smart move, on their part.