More souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than for any other reason
It may be that more souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than any other.  But I understand succumbing to sins of the flesh.  We're hardwired to perpetuate the species.  Even homosexuality is just a deviation in this fundamental drive. 

What I don't understand is the sin of blasphemy.  I find myself scratching my head when I hear a believer committing it.  Never mind that loving God means treating His Name respectfully.  This is true enough.  Beyond that, though, why take the chance?  Why risk your soul?  What do you have to gain?  There are plenty of other ways to express chagrin, dismay, anger, excitement or disappointment.     

To paraphrase Rudyard Kipling:  Swearing is only swearing, but sex is a roll in the hay.  If I have to put my soul in jeopardy, I know which sin I'll take. 
Yeah, about that book recommendation...any thoughts?  Anyone read anything good for guys stuck in the gutter?
(02-21-2010, 12:29 AM)anamchara Wrote: What I don't understand is the sin of blasphemy.  I find myself scratching my head when I hear a believer committing it.  Never mind that loving God means treating His Name respectfully.  This is true enough.  Beyond that, though, why take the chance?  Why risk your soul?  What do you have to gain?  There are plenty of other ways to express chagrin, dismay, anger, excitement or disappointment.     

Perhaps that has something to do with intent. God has no subjective name which we can speak, so the syllables when divorced from intent are meaningless.
(02-21-2010, 10:21 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(02-21-2010, 12:29 AM)anamchara Wrote: What I don't understand is the sin of blasphemy.  I find myself scratching my head when I hear a believer committing it.  Never mind that loving God means treating His Name respectfully.  This is true enough.  Beyond that, though, why take the chance?  Why risk your soul?  What do you have to gain?  There are plenty of other ways to express chagrin, dismay, anger, excitement or disappointment.     

Perhaps that has something to do with intent. God has no subjective name which we can speak, so the syllables when divorced from intent are meaningless.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.  The blaspheming believer tells himself he's just stringing together meaningless syllables, which in his language constitute the Name of God but in the context of his emotional state he's emitting only to let off steam.  I get that.  Still, it seems like a high risk, low-benefit proposition.  As opposed to a near occasion of an illicit roll in the hay--the benefits of which are immediate and compelling.   
(02-21-2010, 10:34 AM)anamchara Wrote: Yes, I'm sure that's it.  The blaspheming believer tells himself he's just stringing together meaningless syllables, which in his language constitute the Name of God but in the context of his emotional state he's emitting only to let off steam.  I get that.  Still, it seems like a high risk, low-benefit proposition.  As opposed to a near occasion of an illicit roll in the hay--the benefits of which are immediate and compelling.   

I think it would be very sinful for a believer to blaspheme, but I was talking about non-believers. A non believer may say things and it would be less sinful than doing something they should know is wrong.
(02-21-2010, 10:37 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(02-21-2010, 10:34 AM)anamchara Wrote: Yes, I'm sure that's it.  The blaspheming believer tells himself he's just stringing together meaningless syllables, which in his language constitute the Name of God but in the context of his emotional state he's emitting only to let off steam.  I get that.  Still, it seems like a high risk, low-benefit proposition.  As opposed to a near occasion of an illicit roll in the hay--the benefits of which are immediate and compelling.   

I think it would be very sinful for a believer to blaspheme, but I was talking about non-believers. A non believer may say things and it would be less sinful than doing something they should know is wrong.

I agree.  The blaspheming believer rationalizes by telling himself the syllables don't constitute God's name and are meaningless when he utters them in a particular emotional state.  The blaspheming unbeliever finds the very concept of God meaningless; therefore, blasphemy itself is meaningless. 

I also believe we're more prone to succumb to sins of the flesh because of the consensual nature of the act.  Even if you're well versed in the Catechism, it's easy to justify fornication when your partner is a willing or, indeed, initiating participant.  Fornication is not at all like stealing.  If someone takes my bike without asking, that's stealing.  If I agree to give my bike to that person, though, the moral context changes entirely.   I can't say he's stealing the bike from me. 

Similarly, if I walk up to a person on the street and punch him in the nose, my action constitutes an assault.  I have sinned against that person.  He didn't consent to the punch in the nose.  But if he and I take up boxing, for exercise or whatever, the context changes.  We meet in the boxing ring and we understand we're supposed to try to punch each other in the nose.  That's what the sport of boxing entails.     

Likewise, an unmarried couple in the throes of passion can easily rationalize succumbing to the act.  Whom are they hurting?  They can only be hurting themselves, they tell themselves.  In the throes of passion, they're usually willing to take that chance.  (Adulterous acts are completely different, as the married party is violating a solemn vow he or she made to another person, i.e., his or her spouse.)     

(02-20-2010, 05:33 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(02-20-2010, 05:25 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I think they limit the time because in a lot of places it's been an hour for confession, me, one or two old ladies, and the priest reading the paper in the Confessional because no one shows up.   It's a waste of their time, so they cut the hours. 

That would be their fault that no one shows up for confession. It is an indictment of their pastoral leadership. They have a dead parish instead of a vibrant one.

They need to preach about sin in their sermons. Preach fire and brimstone. How do they expect those Catholics to confess if they don't talk about mortal sin? Preach about going to hell for just one mortal sin. Things like missing Mass will send them to hell if they don't confess and bringing confession weekly or monthly into their life.

Priests need to be pushing confession from the pulpit. Constantly urging all to go. Reminding everyone the hours and expecting to see them there.

I cannot say better.
Modernist priests are afraid to frighten people if they speak about Hell and the seriousness of mortal sins, and they downplay the issue. The dropping of confessions is an immediate outcome.
Has anyone read the homilies of St Jean-Marie Vianney, the Curé of Ars? I read a few of them in the french original version: They are truly hairaising.
No wonder why the Curé of Ars  actually was hearing confessions 18-20 hrs along every day, and why the lines were forming very early in the morning.
I was told of a french priest who, as a new parish priest, began to preach in the same way until the scared parisheners went to complain to the local bishop. This one reprimanded the priest.
Sad...
(02-21-2010, 11:57 AM)anamchara Wrote: Likewise, an unmarried couple in the throes of passion can easily rationalize succumbing to the act.  Whom are they hurting?  They can only be hurting themselves, they tell themselves.  In the throes of passion, they're usually willing to take that chance.  (Adulterous acts are completely different, as the married party is violating a solemn vow he or she made to another person, i.e., his or her spouse.)     

They could be hurting the child they might conceive. They are also guilty of putting each others' souls in mortal jeopardy. I can't take the sin of fornication so lightly, although the great temptations people in our present culture have to suffer probably lessens their culpability when they commit this sin.
(sorry if this ends up as a duplicate)

Try always praying for the soul of the women you are lusting after.  Lust is by its nature selfish and disconnected from reality.  And, stay with it as lust has a way of permeating the male mind and it could take time.  You probably already do this, but go frequently to confession, and if possible to the same priest.  Know that our Lord is merciful and will forgive.

You may also want to try prayer and silence.  Long periods of silence can be  frightening at first, but have helped me be more open to transforming grace.

blessings and you will be added to my prayers